Reseting the ecu after intake install??

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Mitsubishilancergts, Feb 11, 2009.

1. I have 09 gts stick. I plan to get a kn intake for it, and install in myself. First cant find a diy for this intake, and 2 will i have to reset the ecu and why?? And how do i reset the ecu. If i dont reset it and just let it for run ten mins or so, will that be good enough for the car to relearn its airflow. If not can someone please send me a diy on the reseting the ecu on the 09 gts thanks.

2. BlueDevilLancer

BlueDevilLancer Well-Known Member

there should be instructions for it but if not its probablly on here somewhere. secondly, you shouldnt have to reset the ECU or anything of the sort.

3. leeminho86

leeminho86 Well-Known Member

Install is pretty straight forward it will come with instructions, if not you can probably find them online.

After install you don't have to reset the ecu, just let it run and it will relearn in 10-15 minutes or something.

4. LTDan

LTDan Well-Known Member

I usually disconnect the negative battery for the entire duration of the install (roughly 30min) which will reset the ECU

5. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

If you want d othe work with the negative terminal disconnected but it is not needed. Just let idle for 10 minutes afterwards and watch the rpms they will be jumpy for a couple minutes then will settle down, then your ready to take her for a ride. If you find how tos on how to install other SRI (like RRM) it will be almost identical installation. I think theres actually a vid on youtube...

6. mikeike8

mikeike8 Well-Known Member

ya i believe RRM has how to videos on youtube.. they have some for lowering springs so they must have some for intakes... but if u buy from the manufacturer then it will always come with instructions...

7. Greell

Greell Active Member

Correct, the ECU can't hold memory based settings without power---after about 5 minutes of the battery being disconnected (one terminal or both)---the ECU is officially reset.

install the intake (while the ground is off the terminal if you prefer)----by the time you're done and everything is back together, start that baby up, let it run for 10 minutes to learn the intake, and you're all set!

8. brads09lancerGTS

brads09lancerGTS Active Member

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/69-6544_inst.pdf

It also comes with the identical instructions. It's pretty straight forward to install. Took me about an hour to do and half that time was chasing after my doberman that kept sneaking out the yard. :lol: And u don't have to reset anything, just let it run for a few minutes like the other members said.

9. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

if your do decide to disconect the neg. what will you lose on the navi? everything? nothing? :?:

10. LTDan

LTDan Well-Known Member

not positive about the navi... but on the standard radio I lose all my presets so I'm assuming all settings will return to stock

11. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

hey guys i have the injen CAI but like a month after installation i noticed my cruise control wouldnt work...it turns on and shuts off just right but it wont set the speed i want it to stay at??has anyone seen or heard from this from other ppl??im just curious to know if its because the CAI or maybe the CC got f****d up...

12. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

An intake shouldnt mess up the cruise control. But I have noticed that sometimes I have to press the set speed several times before it kicks on. I think its becuase I just hold it to long, but the switch could be starting to get faulty, hope not.