Question on Eibach Springs Pro kit Installation

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Suspension' started by mie, May 12, 2008.

1. mie

mie Member

Hi,

I just bought the Eibach Springs and plan to install it tomorrow . The kit came with 2 bump stop for the front. My question is how and where do i install the bump stop? Have i need to reuse the black rubber insulator or just put in the bump without the isolator? If someone is using the same springs please help me.

2. rhyzin

rhyzin Member

i would use whichever fits snugly on the strut rod. you kinda don't want it loose. and have the isolator on it (if i'm thinking of the same part). it'll keep most heavy dirt off the strut rod.

3. happy

happy New Member

hi,

can i know what's the gap between the rubber and the fender after u installed the eibach spring? for both front and back. i had installed mine, the clearence is abt 3 fingers spacing for the front and 1.5 for the back. to me, the gap is too big in the front. so want to confirm with bros over here. thx

happy :lol:

4. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

/\ you can cut 1 coil off the front and should bring it down some.prolly a finger.or get some spring clamps.

5. ehssohbee

ehssohbee Member

Happy- I just installed my Eibach Pro Kit yesterday and have the same height issue in the front. It almost feels it's the same height as stock. I'm going to get an alignment tonight to straighten up the wheels and see if it helps at all, tho I doubt thats the issue here.

If anyone else ran into this issue, please post your solution (if you have one). I may just call Eibach in a little bit to see what they suggest.

6. ehssohbee

ehssohbee Member

I talked to Eibach and apparently my kit was missing a couple pieces. The bump stop attaches into a little sleeve that goes towards the top of the front shock, replacing the OEM. It's located under the dust cover, and since my box was missing those parts, I didn't think to look. My bump stop just sits on top, basically doubling my bump stops so my ride height stays the same. If anyone else has this issue, hit up Eibach and tell them your problem. They were really helpful and my parts are in the mail. I'll update you guys when I get these installed.

Here's a pic of the part with the bump stop:
    [​IMG]

7. RedGalant2k1

RedGalant2k1 Well-Known Member

Wished I'd have seen this earlier, thats exactly what I was going to say. Make sure you remove the factory bump stop and install the Eibach supplied parts and bumpstop.

8. lancered

or you could have just cut the bump stop off the sleeve.

9. EBlancerGTS

EBlancerGTS Well-Known Member

When I installed mine there were no bumpstops, so I just left the stock ones in place. but now i'm having problems, both front springs are making popping and rubbing noises when i turn or go over a bump. Does anyone have a pic of what the eibach parts look like installed on the front struts including the new bumpstop and dust cover?

10. ehssohbee

ehssohbee Member

Sorry, been awhile since I followed up on here. Been a hectic couple of months. I got the parts from Eibach and finished the front suspension. The car is a LOT better. Smoother ride, better profile, and less noise. I think if you lower your car there's going to be a bit of noise, still, but it's now less noticeable since I put all the proper Eibach parts on. You might double check how the spring is placed. There's a notch where the spring looks like it should butt up against, but Eibach recommends about a 1/4 inch gap between that end the end of the coil to prevent noise. A dab of grease on some of the areas where the spring meets the suspension, etc, doesn't hurt too much, either.

If you are missing parts from the kit, I suggest giving Eibach a call. They were really helpful and got the parts out to me at no charge. I'm really loving the way the Lancer handles now. Good luck!

11. EBlancerGTS

I called Eibach today and they are sending me the bumpstops, dust covers and some silencer tubing to put on the coils to make them quieter. I can't believe the bumpstops were missing from mine, but now i'm getting everything plus some bonus silencer rubber to quiet the coils.

12. Als09GTS

Als09GTS Active Member

Man, I don't want to sound condescending, but cutting springs and other parts is kind of a ghetto way of handling things, and seems a little careless with a vehicle as excellent as this....IMO.

13. EBlancerGTS

I got the dust covers from Eibach finally today and they sent me this clear tubing to be used as a spring coil silencer, looks kind of cheap i think i'll just use the Tein silencers i got instead. AND...of course i found out i have to serve jury duty tomorrow, thanks Orange County.

14. papi2dmamis

papi2dmamis Well-Known Member

Cutting springs is a very old trick, I did it with a Mazda 808 back in the 80's. With a new car like I would not recomended.

15. dallasgts

dallasgts Member

Cutting also heats up your spring and changes the spring rate as well. As for the bump stops, stock ones are rubber and if not changed will not give you the correct clearance needed by the shorter springs. The Eibach stops should be alot shorter and are also urethane which won't squeak. hope this helps.

16. lancered

Did I say anything about cutting springs?No.i said he could cut the bumpstop off the sleeve,which you can shorten the sleeve and cut half of the bump stop off to get more clearance.What do you think people are doing who dont get new bumpstops with there new springs who doesnt want ot bottom out the strut and blow them??Are you or anyone else going to get on there hands an knees to see if you have cut your bumpstops>nor can you see the front with the car on the ground,and you literally have to lay down on the ground to see the rear struts.as ghetto as you think that is,its actually a very smart thing to do or your shit will be sitting on the bumpstops and your car will sit higher than it shoulfd with lowering springs. :roll:

PS-and if there not ghettoley cut and the car is setting on the bumpstops,the ride is shit cause theres no clearance for the springs and strut to move,and also sits higher than expected the springs to make your car give it that aggressive look.so then youll be back at ground zero asking what did i do wrong.