Question about Dynos...

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Wasper, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm new to this whole car mod stuff, so bare with me, lol....

I was thinking about getting some aftermarket stuff finally (actually, im 90% there to having my wife buy them for me for cristmas :) ) So I got to thinking that maybe I will go have some dynos done on the car afterward. I would do a before and after, but I dont have THAT much cash laying around, lol

I was looking around my area for shops that offer dynos, and I only found a few.

This one looks the most promising, but it looks like they have two types of machines there (dyno sessions are priced different).... Like I said, Im new to this and dont know about these machines. Would you guys mind taking a look and tell me which you think is better??

http://www.xxtuning.com/xxdyno.html

2. BigSteve

BigSteve Well-Known Member

dont waste your money on a dyno with just simple bolt ons... get a dyno now (stock) and see what your putting down.. but you can prolly just look that up and save your self some money off the bat.. get a dyno when you add a turbo or a super charger.. anything forced induction.. after you got a dyno to see your new numbers.. look into a dyno-tune. A dyno tune isnt possible right now because the software isnt out for our cars I believe.

3. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

^ not all of us have the type of money it takes to convert the car to a turbo car... or wish to totaly void the warrenty doing so. Im not saying Ill never-ever turbo it, but that wouldnt be until my warrenty was used up atleast... and maybe still not then.

besides, I didnt ask if I should get one or not... thats my perogitive. I asked for someone who might know , out of those two machines , a Dynapack 5500 or a Mustang 1750DE, which would be preferable?

4. angryGTS

angryGTS Well-Known Member

Alot of people like the Mustang dyno, alot of people like the DynoJet, the Mustang usually throws out lower numbers

5. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

I would, respectfully, have to disagree with that KRU.

I did do my homework, and this is my conclution after researching online and talking to a few people who work for dealerships. This is my understanding of it.

If I put a turbo on a car that was sold as a non-turbo vehicle, and then my engine gets messed up becuase of that, then theres no way that my warranty would cover the cost of a replacement engine.

I know that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says that the manufacture must prove that the malfunction happened due to something the consumer did in order not to be liable. But, how hard do you think they would have to fight if your engine blew and they open the hood and see an after market turbo in it?

Taken from the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act : "The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance."

Also, what most people have to understand is that Mitsubishi's 10 year/ 100,000 mile warranty only covers "Manufactour's Defects". This means that either the part/parts were defective from the start, or the part/parts failed to perform under "normal operation" in that time frame.

Having a car that was manufactured, tuned and sold by a company to run without turbo, and then putting an aftermarket turbo on it, does not constitute "normal operation". Therefore they (the sellers) have every right to deny your warranty claim.

Things like exhaust and air intakes will not put any untoward strain on an engine, so it would be very hard for a manufactour to prove that items like this cuased any major problems.

But, on the other-hand, a turbo does put a higher level of strain on an engine, making it run at a substantionally higher level then the rated level it was sold at. This makes it very easy for a company to deny any responsibillity for replacement/repairs.

If you were in this situation and wanted to fight it, it would end up in court.... and a large company has the capital to outlast you. And they will fight it, becuase if they dont, then it opens the flood-gates for every consumer to do what they want to thier products without any responsibillities for thier actions.

Now, all that said, I'm sure the after market companies take every messure to ensure that thier products will not damage your car. Its still a risk though, becuase not every car is the same, even cars that were made at the same plant can differ slightly.

People buy new cars and end up with lemons all the time, and they still have problems getting reperations from the seller, even with state and federal lemon laws in effect. So, even if the aftermarket part, turbo in this case, is perfectly safe for our cars, and you end up with one of the cars that reacts bad to it... then most likely, your out of luck.

Wasper

6. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

Very well said.. when i read KEU post, i was getting ready to write something like this and you covered it all...

also, even if the kit (turbo) in this case, is sold to operate at certain settings, and those settings are "safe" to your car, there are always the morons that say "what if i crank it a notch or two?" and then the engine goes boom and blame the "shitty kit"... back in 1997 the warranties were very wide and you could get it your way one way or another, now, companies are a pain in the ass to cover you for stuff that you broke, its not their fault....

7. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

the easier thing to do is talk to the dealer that you would intend on calling should something break and ask them weather it would hurt your warranty if you were to have it installed. Im sure they would be happy to tell you what you need to know.

Anyway back to the dyno.. i dont think it really matters all taht much what dyno you use.. they all pull up different figures. What you need to do is get it tested before you do anything and then after you do the mods so that way you know what sort of percentage increase you got.

If you just want to show off that you have higher HP numbers then just do some googling and find out which one produces the higest numbers. I cant say which one that would be out of the options you have given cause i havent seen either in use over in aus. Dyno-namics dyno's are pretty commonly used for comps and club dyno runs over here. They seem ok.