Premium or regular?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by HomieG, Oct 4, 2007.

1. HomieG

HomieG Well-Known Member

i was wodering what you people are filling ur cars up with?
    should i stick to premium if i plan to turbo it later on?
    or it shouldnt matter if i use regular now?
    i kno the turbz is gonna need some premium fuel!!
    please post ur thoughts!

2. gatzaraki

gatzaraki Well-Known Member

if you have the money every time you are going to fill up you ride use premium... 8O

3. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

im in so cal. 91 octane is the highest i've seen and i've used 91 for about 7+ years. the car was made and meant to have 87 octane, but screw that. i stick to what im used to. 8)

if you do plan on going turbo i don't see what difference it'd make if you used 87 UNTIL you got the turbo. but it doesn't hurt either.

no matter what octane you get, it's never a bad idea to put some fuel-injector cleaner/ or octane booster in every once-in-a-while :D

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Higher the octane(that is avaliable at the pump) the better. Car will run cleaner.

5. huff

huff Well-Known Member

whats ever cheapest all the way baby!!!!!! :twisted: lol

6. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

As for running a turbo, using a higher grade of gas is needed to burn faster. The 08 4B11 is designed to use 87.

7. crypto

crypto Well-Known Member

use whatever the car is tuned for. which is like 87. It's a complete waste of money to use higher octane gas, your timing is set up for low octane so using performance gas doesn't help at all.

If you get a piggyback, or turbo and retune your car and advance the timing, then you would need to upgrade to performance gas otherwise the gas will detonate to early and you will have problems. But for now with a stock tune,. use 87, that is what your car is set up for

However, i would recommend using high quality gas like Shell, or BP. because they are cleaner and get you better MPG. They will also help your engine last longer because the gas is better quality

8. tatsujo

tatsujo Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with crypto. Use better gas stations, not just the cheapest ones you find like Aarco. Also, try not to pump when there is a big rig or anything already pumping.

9. WillieetheOne

WillieetheOne Well-Known Member

mid range

I myself just go the one step up. which is just a bit more 89 i think. but yeah the higher it is the cleaner it burns. It also helps with the flash off to us who live in the colder states and proviences lol. but to each there own.

10. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

I was curious about this so I spoke with my father who is a Petroleum engineer and works on refineries for the all the gas names from the giants like Exxon and Shell to the lesser ones. Here is the truth:

1) Does it benefit to run a higher octane than the car is rated for?

Yes and no. The difference in octane numbers reflects the number of additives in the gas (more below). Cars with older Cast Iron Blocks could see a slight benefit from running a higher octane fuel, however any new engine based on Aluminum will not see any major difference. This changes, as people have said, based on the tuning, compression, etc. during performance modifications. If you run a higher octane in a base factory engine that is rated for the base 87 octane, than, in most cases, you are really just wasting money. Furthermore, in some instances, by running the richer fuel, you can damage sensors in the engine from the higher temperatures the higher octanes run at. In other words, in rare cases, you could be damaging your engine over time.

2) You should run the better known names as they are cleaner.

Where the formula that each oil company chooses to use will vary, they all follow the basic ingredients pretty much the same. The difference is the type, amount, and how many additives that they introduce and mix into the main mixture during the final refinery process in the main reactor. This final additive mix are usually just polymers added to help fight things like engine sludge and carbon composite buildup in the engine. That being said, the engine, no matter how great of a quality or octane gas you put into it will still gain deposits over the natural life span of the car. This is why engine flushes are common in cars between 75,000 and 125,000 miles depending on the drivers habits. Also, a thing to remember when it comes to lesser brand gases like those found in the pumps at Walmart or your local grocery store. 9 times out 10 the gas that is sold at Walmart and grocery stores is Exxon or Shell gas. Surprised? The reason is that smaller gas companies buy overstock from the local refineries of the bigger oil companies. That way, they can run a small basic oil business without building their own facility. So, Walmart gas is just the daily leftover after say Exxon sends out its trucks to its gas stations to refill.

3) What can I do to get the most of my gas?

Simple:
    a) Fill up in the early morning or late evening when it is not as hot.
    b) Check your tire pressure monthly as this is the biggest way you will lose money in gas via your MPG
    c) If you are worried about deposits based on your driving habits, I recommend using an engine cleaner additive ONCE a month in ONE of your tanks. It is a waste to do it every time as the additives already in the gas are already enough because of stringent automotive, oil, and EPA standards set forth by federal law.
    d) DO NOT fill up at a station that is being refilled or just was refilled by a tanker truck. When the tanker pumps in new gas into the underground storage tanks, the particles and minerals that have settled from the old gas that was stagnant in the tank get spread throughout the new gas being deposited in the tank, like when silt in a river bed is disturbed and clouds the water. This applies to all gas station regardless of brand. Usually 30 minutes after the pumper has filled the tank has the particles resettled in the underground storage tank. The particles can cause deposits to form in the engine faster regardless of the octane blend you choose.

Hope this helps to shed some light.

Bill

11. tatsujo

tatsujo Well-Known Member

Wildbill, pretty much spot on man. Try get at good gas stations; better additives which makes more sense; which makes sense they are slightly a couple cents more.

As always, never fill up when a big rig is filling as you obviously see why stated by bill. I was never to sure about the octane, but now am; 87 all the way. :D

12. huff

huff Well-Known Member

good info right there ! iv learned alot !

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I c the Light.

14. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

87 exxon lol

15. WildBill

Sings...

AND WE SHOUT HALLELUIA AND PRAISE UNTO THE LORD...

(the lord, our god, the lancer :twisted: )

Bill

16. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

i have always filled up with 87 octane and always used either shell or BP, those are the 2 closest to my house :D. may be once a month i fill up with just a step up 89. Just to clean the fuel system....Even with 87 on shell or BP i noticed that it burns slower and my MPG is better vs. Walmart gas, or HESS. BP SHELL all the way!

17. HomieG

HomieG Well-Known Member

thanks for the info guys....im gonna go with 87 octane....no need of wasting money!!!

18. crypto

crypto Well-Known Member

common sense prevails once more!

19. Lancer957

Lancer957 Active Member

This topic is one of the first questions I had about my car as I'm still running off the same tank of gas the dealership filled my car up with when it was originally purchased 7 days ago. Answers like this is why I really like these forums. It's not just someone's opinion, but also backed up with facts from a good source. Really nice job WildBill! I'll be using good ol' 87 octane to fill up :D

20. WildBill

Not a problem.

Bill