Pre-painted hoods...a myth?

Discussion in 'New Member Check In!' started by Roofus, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Roofus

Roofus Well-Known Member

Hey guys im looking into getting an evo x oem hood and am leaning towards fiberglass. I was wondering if it is possible to buy a hood that is already pre-painted to match the car rather than paying 300 or whatever ill get charged. I would just go carbon fiber, except I don't know how good it'll look on my graphite gray pearl...any suggestions?

2. dao.style

dao.style Well-Known Member

i doubt you will find one for that cheap, $300-500+ would be like good paint job for the hood. might as well get CF, and then paint that when you have some spare cash

3. LancerRA09

LancerRA09 Well-Known Member

Just make sure you take it to a good shop if you paint CF hood. Cuz if they scuff the clear ontop of the carbon fiber too much its gonna be a bitch

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

You may be able to find someone to pre-paint one for you, but its better not to. Every day, the paint on a car fades..you may not relize it just because you look at it everyday. If you buy a pre-painted part, the color can be off by as much as 2 shades...even if the car is only a year old. If you take it to a good bodyshop, they will paint it with a technique called blending. The prep the hood, fenders, and bumper, and blend the new paint into the factory. Its just a trick played on the eyes. It may be a shade different, but if it slowly blends into the original color...you don't notice it as you would with only painting the hood.

5. Roofus

Roofus Well-Known Member

yea good call, didnt think about that...thanks for the help guys