Polishing Metal

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by dejesus360, Jun 11, 2009.

1. dejesus360

dejesus360 Member

I would like to post some pics of my Lancer, but the engine bay needs a little tlc. Have any tips on how to polish metals (headers, cai, etc...),and tips on how to clean the engine bay in general?

Vic D

2. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

As for the headers, the easiest thing that I did with my stock set was to take a scotch-brite pad and knock off the surface rust. It takes a little work, but it leaves them smooth and a natural finish. If you try to polish with any type of metal polish, it will burn off and possibly stain the metal. For the rest of the stuff, I take an old microfiber and spray some window cleaner to knock off any heavy stuff. With another micro, put a little (or a lot..depending on what you like) armor all to give all the rubber and plastic parts a deep black look. If you use a small amount, it really dosent leave it super shiney or greasy feeling...just looks like new. If you want everything to have a hardcore shine, go buy some Gunk silicone engine coating. I think it comes in a white can with an orange top...only about 5 bucks.

3. dejesus360

dejesus360 Member

Thanks for the info. I'll try it when the weather gets better in CT. This place sucks for weather, it can't make up its mind...

4. BlueDevilLancer

BlueDevilLancer Well-Known Member

dude its been shit for the past week or so. but hey welcome to new england where there weather is bipolar