Piping SRI where the turbo should be

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by JGSkains, Oct 16, 2008.

1. JGSkains

JGSkains Well-Known Member

I am looking a getting a CF Hood that is vented for cooling a turbo and was thinking that if I could pipe an intake around to the back where the turbo would normally be and could shield it from the engine and manifold that it might bring in enough cold air to act a CAI without piping it down in the front. Any ideas on how effective this might be?

2. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

Would be more effective than a normal SRI, however if you do this you need ot keep an eye out for water entering the vents also. Or find a work around for that. Just something to think about.

3. JGSkains

Hmm, yes that is something that will need consideration. Thanks

4. GTS_Rob

GTS_Rob Well-Known Member

our car does not make enough power for some SRI intake to make a difference in HP. economy engine

5. EngRWW33

Then my question would be, if the CAI frees HP at high rpms because of the "cold air" being brought into the engine, then why wouldn't the SRI have the same effect if bringing in "cold air" to the engine?????

6. GTS_Rob

GTS_Rob Well-Known Member

its all about the delivery of the air, not just if it is COLD or not

7. EngRWW33

That's what I thought as well.
    This is how I would look at it:
    Short Ram "gulps" large amounts of air to increase hp.... hence RAM.
    Cold air feeds cooler, or fresher, air to the engine more efficiently then the stock intake would thus increasing hp.
    So if a SRI is gulping in large amounts of air and that air is more dense/cool/fresh, why not the best of both worlds???
    Anyone who can explain in detail the reasoning beind this NOT being the case please do so.

8. JGSkains

I think that if I leave the sri where it is normally, it will still get a burst of cool air from the hood vent, since there is no place else for the air to go, and that would prevent it from getting water from the hood vent. At least it should provide some amount of improvement.

9. medic

medic Well-Known Member

i would tend to agree... leave it where it is. It's been designed to sit there for a reason... with the vent it should bring in cooler air anyway.

10. JGSkains

Thanks, that is what I decided to do, I ordered a Fujita SRI from AutoCityImports over the weekend along with a TWM shortshifter and the EVO X CF hood by Carbon By Design. Hopefully they will be going on next weekend.

11. sordid

sordid Well-Known Member

Why the hell would you buy a Fujita?

12. AeJarrotto

AeJarrotto Well-Known Member

+1 , is it a V1 V2 or v6949.... your best bet for the most dense, (cold air) is a CAI, for the high end gains. Short ram is for taking off the line. Ultimately it should be more power than stock, since the engine will be able to breathe easier. But with the fujita and its never ending check engine lights, it will probably hurt performance... I would send that $#it back as soon as i got it. and with how it is designed the short ram should still receive cool air since the air moving from the front of the car will keep pushing the hot air out and back, especially since the headers are on the back of the engine. Creates like an air pocket.

13. sordid

sordid Well-Known Member

That should read

"especially since the header is on the back of the engine"

since there is only one header on this inline-4 engine.

14. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

Following the opening post.. If you have a turbo, the thing you have to worry the least about is the turbo inlet temperature... Remember the inlet housing is mounted to the exhaust housing, which is, in a cool day, at about 900 degrees F... meaning that it doesnt matter what the temperature of the inlet is, its always gonna get really hot....

if heat soak and temperature is your worry, instead of this, you should be researching on the size of the intercooler core, and if you would run co2 sprayers on it or not...

15. AeJarrotto

AeJarrotto Well-Known Member

lol i hope everyone would know there is only one header. its my aixelsyd acting up. lol my bad.

16. JGSkains

I had been a little concerned about that; but, as it turns out the reason why I don't have my fujita yet is because it is on back order while they fix the problem so I should get one of the first, 2nd generation Fujita SRI's. They moved the MAS sensor further away from the manifold which was causing the CE issues.

17. Dabrits

Dabrits Well-Known Member

Re:

Theoretically, in a sterile environment that would be correct. But there are other variables in play.

Maybe if this were put in effect you would see low band and high band gains, but a drop at mid band...