Performance Mods--Suggestions??

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Anthony, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Hey all,

OK, so I have completed cosmetic changes to my 08 GTS. Now I am ready to start with other mods. Does anyone have suggestions for mods to do to the engine, intake, exhaust, etc? Anything or anyone I should stay away from? I saw the RRM website, they seem OK. Also I checked out WORKS, they seem good too. I saw the banner ad for SLR Motorsports. Anyone buy anything from them? I am the first one in my crew with the new Lancer, So we really don't know where to start. Any thoughts?

2. DVHopeful

DVHopeful Well-Known Member

depends on how much your looking to spend...theres an Injen CAI thats nice, or you can do the RRM SRI. Exhaust, full or axel back. Headers...those are starting points

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think $500 would be a good start for a first round mod. I was thinking about exhaust and intake first.

4. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

exhaust and intake is always a good place to start... next could be pulley, header

5. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

the simple bolt ons would be good. the cold air or shorty. cant go wrong with either.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

OK, so I think I'm gonna go with the exhaust from WORKS. They claim they are authorized by Mitsubishi. (Any truth to that?) They have an air filter, too. But I have always trusted K&N with my other vehicles. (A Trans Am, 2 5-liter Mustangs, a Triton V-8 Expedition, and a several jet skiis.) So, I most likely will get one from them. (If they have one for the car.)

Has anyone tried that SLR Motorsports chip? They claim an increase of up to 50 horses. The chip seems cheap (sorry; inexpensive) at only $70. My philosophy is; Nothing good is cheap and nothing cheap is good. I'm concerned that if I try the chip, and it doesn't work, I may mess up the computer and/or void my warranty. If anyone has one, let me know the good, the bad and the ugly.

7. Keeeent

Keeeent Well-Known Member

Scam.

8. GTS_Lancer

GTS_Lancer Well-Known Member

Well i dont know about you but i have checked that site before and have you ever noticed there is no way to contact them, no phone number only an email. So i went ahead and emailed them just to see whats up and never got a response. My opinion is i think its totally sketchy and is a scam.

9. medic

medic Well-Known Member

I went with the rrm sri and i love it. Great sound and actually feel a slight bump in performance. Since i'm in Chicago too I would suggest checking out Drivers Image in Skokie. They will do a custom exhaust with increased pipe diameter from the cat back for about $350 installed depending on the can you pick. As far as warranty goes... my dealer told me flat out that ANY non-mitsubishi part "voids" the warranty... which i'm willing to test since they don't give me replacement parts for free. They can't void the warranty if i go buy better parts for less money otherwise it's gonna be a pr nitemare.

If you're looking for another Lancer to roll with let me know like I said i'm in the Chicago area too!

10. 09gtsguy

09gtsguy Active Member

just thought about this, this morning, for under like 1200, u can get 180 at the wheels, injen cai, rrm header, custom shop exhasut, and works ecu.( for an 09 gts.)
    do u guys think so?

11. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

180 whp??? Not going to happen. Maybe 140-145 whp.

12. EngRWW33

w/ the 2.4 engine it is hard to say. 140-145 is a bit low, but the only real way to know is to dyno. Everyone can speculate and make assumptions. If you want the real answer go for it and get some numbers. You will get better than 145 to the wheels if you are m/t, most likely cvt also.

13. medic

medic Well-Known Member

180 @ the crank maybe but not at the wheels. Add the fact that the exhaust could b any of a million different combinations there by giving different levels of performance improvement.

14. SeRious08

Put it this way, when I dynoed my car, I had exhaust, RRM crank pulley, and the very first RRM piggyback ecu. I have the 2.0L 152 hp at the crank. I only pulled 139 at the wheels.

With a 15% - 20% drivetrain lost in power it breaks down like this:

152 x .15 = 22.8 hp drivetrain lost
    152 x .20 = 30.4 hp drivetrain lost

Stock HP @ wheels
    152 - 22.8 = 129.2
    152 - 30.4 = 121.6

My #s - Stock
    139.6 - 129.2 = 10.4 hp gain from mods
    139.6 - 121.6 = 18 hp gain from mods

Now I know, 2 cars are never alike but mods usually show similar results.

2.4L 2009 Lancer 168hp at the crank

168 - .15 = 25.2 hp drivetrain lost
    168 - .20 = 33.6 hp drivetrain lost

168 - 25.2 = 142.8
    168 - 33.6 = 134.4

Now if you compare the same mod gains that I showed for each drivetrain hp lost percentage

142.8 + 10.4 = 153.2 hp @ the wheels
    142.8 + 18 = 160.8 hp @ the wheels

My 140 - 145 estimate was a little low. But with the mods you listed, running on an accurate unbiased correct dyno, you shouldn't see 180 t0 the wheels.

Even 180 at the crank comes out to:
    180 - .15 (27) = 153 @ the wheels
    180 - .20 (36) = 144 @ the wheels

15. 09gtsguy

09gtsguy Active Member

very very knowledgable, +1,
    but with the mods that i listed before, sorry for the wrong number, should be around $1500, not $1200,
    the injen cai(dyno says 10hp, witch i think is bs) (so i say 7hp), rrm headers (dyno proven at 8hp), exhasut(5hp), and works ecu reflash(proven at 18)(on 93 octane)(so i say around 15hp on 87).
    (im pretty sure all those mod increases are at the wheels, but i know all dynos are different, but in close proximity, my estiate should be somewhat accturate.)
    142 to the wheels on an 09 gts, plus, 7,8,5,15=178hp.
    so 180hp to the wheels feasable?
    you guys think the same, or think im crazy?
    haha :p

16. Dabrits

Dabrits Well-Known Member

I would probably say something closer to 170 at the wheels, but I'm not a definitive source, just my $.02. Frankly, I'd rather just try to drop some weight off of that fat/heavy vehicle. Decreasing lbs of torque to weight would be better for you in the long run.

17. 09gtsguy

09gtsguy Active Member

hahaahaha, ya no shit.
    this car weighs a tonnnnnnn.

18. EngRWW33

Losing weight is only going to make a noticeable difference if you gut the hell out of our car. Other then that the gains will go unnoticed if at all. When you add mods to your car you can't say 7+8+5... etc. If the mods work together you might come close to 170 at the wheel, but 180 does not really seem feasable. We can all settle this if someone out there can run a dyno after all boltons/flashes are installed. Until then, speculate is all we can do.

19. SeRious08

Again, I don't trust dynos from manufactures. Works also showed a dyno that their exhaust pulled +7 hp but then claim 11 on the site and boards.

20. Dabrits

Dabrits Well-Known Member

I don't trust any dynos that come off of the site that the product is sold on. Very over inflated. It's all about independent research.