Performance Help Wanted

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by medic, Aug 25, 2008.

1. medic

medic Well-Known Member

Ok so i'm the fng. I took delivery of my tarmac black 2009 GTS with the 2.4L and the cvt about 4 mo ago. I love the car but need a little more (read alot) speed and power. I've looked @RRM but am not too sure i've checked out Works as well. Any other '09 GTS owners out there with some advise? Any and all help would be great!

2. vanquish87

vanquish87 Well-Known Member

- injen cold air intake (same 1 as the 08's)
    - HKS High Power Axelback
    - Turbo (when rrm comes out w/ it)

thats my suggestions =P

i woodnt get the headers... to me it will sound lil more ricey .... but i got the injenn cai and the hks and sounds awsome and i notice lil more kick to it @ higher rpms.... but when u get the turbo in there... HELLLO haha

3. drake12483

drake12483 New Member

i need to learn how to read rules.....

:roll:

4. mikeike8

mikeike8 Well-Known Member

i have the greddy tic exhaust and im about to add on the injen cai, rrm headers and rrm pulley sometime this week... but just the greddy exhaust alone the car sounds so mean... i know a lot of other people go with WORKS and what not but i love the greddy.. but it totally up to u.. im just sayin what i went with

but def think about investing in a turbo... i know rrm just bought a 09 2.4L lancer and they just put a turbo on it.. theres a vid on youtube about it and they have a forum on this website too... check it out

5. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Drake, to be able to do that you will need at-least 50 posts or a vouch from an ADMIN/MOD and have a piece of paper with your username besides it.

LT Staff

6. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

If you wanted a fast car, or a car you could make fast, you should have done a bit of research before getting a lancer... The market for this car is horrible... You will spend anywhere from $800 to $1200 on bolt-ons (like intake, exhaust, pulley) just to gain 15hp, or you can spend $3500 - $5000 on the turbo kits available for the car, just to gain ~ 70hp (anybody else lol'ed at that one, like i did? :D)

anyways, if you have tons of money, you will be able to just upgrade your car to the hp # that other cars are doing stock, at the same price of a GTS...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but i learned the hard way, that research is the key to success... and i have a slow car :roll:

7. GTS_Lancer

GTS_Lancer Well-Known Member

LOL! yeah our cars will never be speed demons so i hope that wasn't what u were looking for. i too wanted a fast car but now i accept the fact that it will never be. So the most you can do now is just do customization to make your car look hot. I have been going to a few car shows and noticed that the lancer is one of the hottest and most unique body styles out there.

8. mikeike8

my bubble has been burst a lil too not gonna lie... but at least i can make it sound real nice and make it look real clean too and maybe make it turn a few heads when i drive by ;)

9. Keeeent

Keeeent Well-Known Member

Yeah, our cars are not fast at all. I am officially making it a show car. Turning heads while driving is gonna be the only action I'll be seeing.

10. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

mine turned alot of heads and have been commented by young and old people. :wink: but it exceeded the under power under the hood.

11. mikeike8

Haha awesome!... actually i pulled up in front of the gym by my house and all i had installed was my greddy tic exhaust and a guy in a lamborghini gallardo complemented me on the sound and the car in general... i felt pretty good that day lol!

12. TheDude

TheDude Well-Known Member

Well, im not even done with my body kit, and i already had 2 people rear end the people in front of em just from staring at me. Plenty of compliments and a shit load of "Nice Evo" (Disclaimer... i am in no way saying my car is an Evo... just reiterating what people tell me)

My personal advice, reg NA lancers are like fine ass nuns: amazing looks, but you aitn gonna go very far with it.

13. sordid

sordid Well-Known Member

After I blacked out the middle bumper section, dechromed the grill trim, and relocated the license plate to the side, there was one guy in a car right next to me that looked at my front end, grinned, nodded and said "Evo" to himself.

I think people need to be edumacated more... but I do really like how that couple of hours of painting work really sets off the visual aggressiveness of the car.

On topic:

Headers will remove turbulence in the flow, and can be futher enhanced by having a [u/]proper[/u] exhaust set-up. I hate ricey exhausts, so I can't recommend one there. That constant droneing Fast and the Furious fart irritates me to no end, and I've yet to hear a properly done system in this jerkassed city. You'll see an increase of upwards of 7-8hp from what I've heard, but I haven't seen or felt the difference yet. I might look into it next spring.

The RRM v2 Pulley won't give you any noticeable power, but it will increase your throttle response in the low end by lightening the amount of rotational mass to turn those accessory pumps.

Warm air intakes run the engine leaner in some situations but should provide a bit more low-end grunt than a cold air since warm air makes combustion easier. They run leaner because of the hotter air in the engine bay, making the ECU provide less fuel to the mixture. Running leaner will improve your fuel mileage, but methinks this engine runs pretty lean as it is. However, once you get to speed, the engine bay ambient temperature will drop because of the increased air flow below the vehicle and through each little gap in the grill. Stop, and it heats up again.
    The shorter and less restrictive flow than stock also increases throttle response. I have a RRM v1, and I noticed the response was better and it picked up slightly quicker in the low end, but the top end didn't have much more of a difference other than the worlds-going-to-end roar from the resonance and flow of the intake and filter. I'd prefer the RRM SRI v2 over the v1 if at all possible given their higher flow claim. Heatshield, eh...

The cold air, with the longer pipe, won't help your throttle response as it's the sucking-air-through-two-straws-instead-of-one syndrome. There is more restriction given the longer pipe which ends up in less instantaneous flow through the throttle body. However, that's only at the low end of the spectrum. Once you start moving, it's all flow. From what I've been hearing and reading, you notice more of a top-end increase. Since we peak in HP pretty high, and MIVEC doesn't start fooling with the cam timing until half-way up the spectrum, I think the cold air would be the better bet. It's more expensive, but it's also more impressive.

With a CVT, I've been seeing more people recommend the warm air intake since it gives a more low end than a cold air -- something that the CVT apparently needs.

Contrary to popular opinion, it does really not matter between the material of the intake. The stock rubber/plastic or aftermarket aluminum, it all makes the same difference. Some people will throw the argument that aluminum heats up quicker than plastic, or this or that.. but when you actually stop to think about it -- the air is flowing through the intake pretty quickly and the tubing is never critically hot. The increase in temperature of the air as it moves through the intake is negligible.

Other modifications would be an ECU flash, though pricey and warranty voiding. Unless, of course, you can swing sending the unit back to get reflashed to stock when you get the car serviced. Maybe the service techs won't be nosey enough to check, or maybe it's really easy to check for modified ECU tables. I don't know.

The piggy-back from RRM is less intrusive, but less gains as well.

I think the real killer for speed in this vehicle is the weight. Lots of cars have nearest makes no difference the same power as we do (but some without the torque). The 3100lbs we're towing around is what's killing us.
    You could replace every panel with carbon fiber, and that would probably do some good.

14. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

I only paid $16K for my GTS so the power to dollar ratio was perfect. Find another 4 door in the $16K area that looks better and is faster....

Now, the current best options is to def. get your engine to breath better. I suggest a decent intake. It all depends on what you are looking for out of the car whether you choose SRI or CAI. SRI is better in the low - mid range red light to red light driving or X events. CAI will suffer in the low end but open it up on the highway better than the SRI. Your range is from $40 to $250. The choice is yours. This will always be debated from both sides.

Next in line now that the car is sucking in more air is to get it out. Need a decent header. Currently RRM is the only out there and will remain on top even after others produce some. I have it and it is one of the best N/A mods you can do. A lot of bang for such little $$.

Next is exhaust. Both RRM and Works did several studies and didn't notice anymore gains from swapping the entire exhaust piping. All that needs to be done is the axel back portion. RRM and Works also did research on the type of muffler that needs to be used. Its no mystery why both ended up with the flat oval designed muffler. It showed better gains on the dyno than the canister mufflers like Greddy or HKS. Even though they my have the sound, the canister mufflers lack the performance.

Now that the car is breathing, you need to free up some hp and reving. Slap on an RRM lightweight crank pulley. Off the line I felt a difference.

You can even get a short shifter if thats your thing. TWM owns all. Thats all I have to say about that.

Once all that is accomplished, look at either the RRM piggyback ECU (which won't void warranty because it can be removed) or the Works ECU flash that has the potential to void warranty and cost you $$$ when the dealership reflashes it to a stock setting if you ever take your car in for service. I have the very first in the country RRM PB ECU. I love it.

There you go, there are your ideas for a decent N/A car. Just wait until cams are introduced for our cars. That will change everything as far as power and performance. For the better :D

Now if you want to go turbo, you can do that as well. If thats your plan, do everything mentioned above but hold off on the header and piggyback. The RRM turbo kit will come with both.

Good luck to you.

15. medic

medic Well-Known Member

Thanks! I recently installed the RRM SRI v2 and love the sound and have noticed a bit of a pickup in perforance. As far as the car never being "Fast" thats fine i'm 31 and don't really need a speed demon of a car to get in trouble with. I still don't know what exhaust to go with... Drivers Image in skokie has a great reputation and quoted me about $350 installed for a custom cat back with larger pipe. To be completely honest i've been thinking about SCCA racing since i know that the car will never be a drag monster. Handling is more fun anyway.