perfect shift point 5speed

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by FinestGTS, Jan 16, 2008.

1. FinestGTS

FinestGTS Well-Known Member

Hey guys, We all already talked about how to launch our 5speeds.

How about what rpm which should shift at during each shift. What are your opinion on this?

This would be for 1/4th mile time sake not fuel economy or anything else. Mainly just for best shift points for the best 1/4th mile time. :)

2. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

5k, rev for me was around 6k

3. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Our car works rather well in the high rpm range. I think that running it all the way, just shy of the redline is great. If you shift too soon, you risk falling out of the powerband for that gear. I feel shifting at 5 is a little premature. Just my opinion. Everyone has thier way of running. Bras could shift at 5 and me at redline and he could still end up faster. Its just a matter of taking it to the track and doing several runs with different shift points. You have to find the one that works best for your driving style/ability.

Also, every car is different. A great tool to use is a dyno. Do a dyno pull in each gear. Then see where you start losing power/tq. That will tell you when your optimum shift point is.

4. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

agree :D

5. FinestGTS

FinestGTS Well-Known Member

good info, it seems like 4th gear is 6100rpm seems like the perfect point

6. bf360

bf360 Well-Known Member

i shift at around 6260 to 6300 or 6400, to try and keep it in the optimum rpm window

7. AeJarrotto

AeJarrotto Well-Known Member

great explanation SeRious08, because a driver makes a fast car. unless it is some Ferrari where the driver can suck, and the car will still be fast :twisted: .