Opinion on Dual-tip exhaust for the Lancer?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Wasper, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

I'm either giong to wait and see what injen offers with thier system, or I was going to have a local shop make me a custom cat-back. I dont like the giant 4" + tips on the exhasts out now, so Im either going to do a single, smaller tip (3" -3.5" or so) or I was going to put on a dual-tip.

I did a quick pic of a dual-tip exhaust. Im not that good at image minipulation, but this should give you an idea.... I kinda like it, but a freind said its more "Euro" then "Japanese"" whats your opinion?

[​IMG]

2. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

ok good. i thought this was a thread that wanted to "dual exhaust" each side of the car (ala SRT-4 and EvoSoul)

I like your idea MUCH better and it DOES look clean. now as far as performance, just make you sure you know what you're doing. i'd hate to see you lose power and gain noise just because you wanted a new muffler :D

You've seen my pics i posted of my injen exhaust right? you know how it looks underneath? what bends they used? stuff like that?

3. Subawho

Subawho Well-Known Member

You do see more Euro cars with dual tip. If you are having a custom exhaust built and like a dual tip, get it.

4. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Actually, I havent seen your pics of the injen.. or if I have, I dont remember... Ill go look for them, or if you can post a link just incase I cant find em. Thanks !

5. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Nevermind, I found it.

Looks good, but the tip might still be a bit big for my taste... its hard to tell cuase there isnt a "striaght-on" look of the rearend of your car in those pics.

I see you started it from the first cat, did you remove the second cat all together?

6. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Well, I already asked a local "Tuner" shop and they refuse to put a custom exhaust because they say that they only do 50-state legal set-ups... So Im thinking they just install pre-made systems and dont do thier own welding/bending.

I found another shop not to far from me that does do custom bending/welding of exhausts. They have several race cars that I think are more american muscle then Imports, but they do say on thier site that they work on imports aswell.

I was thinking about stopping in and getting some info to see if they know thier stuff... I will prob check in with everyone here to see if you guys think the guy knows his stuff or not before I go ahead and make the leap.

He prob does if thier involved with racing and all... but since I dont know much about cars, I want to make sure Im getting what I pay for.

7. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

maybe these shots will give a better view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*goes back to bed*

8. Mitsu008

Mitsu008 Well-Known Member

duel tips do give good power and less nosie which i a plus for me

9. Invincible

Invincible Well-Known Member

I love this, and its what im going to actually do on my car, im gona get it done at a local shop in a month or so, i'm thinking about going for dual tips on both sides, which will require a modification to the rear bumber though, but it will look cool i guess

10. Guest

Guest Guest

yo man its ur ride and u need to build it to the way ur gonna like it.
    I think it looks clean.

11. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

well, I went down to talk to a guy about a custom axel-back exhaust today. I decided on an axel-back becuase my dealer was giving me big balls about messing with any of the emmisions aspects of the car. He said that axel-backs are no problem though (basically past the flange).

Basically my dealer has a lifetime engine warrenty (its dealer specific). As long as you keep up on your oil changes, they will replace the engine if it ever gives out, no matter how many miles or years. But, if I mess with the stock components before the flange (ie. cats, resonator and pipe size ) then it will void that dealer specific warrenty (which they can do cuase its not a factory warrenty). So, axel-back it is for me.

Anyway, The dude at the performance shop and I tried out a whole bunch of dual tips, in diffrent sizes and lenths, to see how they would look sitting on the back...

Not Good :(

If life was photoshop, it would be easier, lol...

But, in reality they all were much bigger looking in person and didnt look right. Plus, being side-by-side like that, they didnt come anywhere close to fitting in the cutout on the bumper, so they would have hung way to low. So I went with a satinless steel, single walled w/ rolled tip for the set-up.

Since Im going with an unorthidox muffler for my car and with the limited space, they had to special order the right sized muffler for me... and with christmas and newyears this week means it wont come in till next week.

12. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Post pictures when its finished.

13. Lancer-Randy

Lancer-Randy Well-Known Member

Yes post pics