NOOB w/ Autox ect.

Discussion in 'RallyCross, AutoCross, Motorsports' started by evilstig4b1, Apr 29, 2012.

1. evilstig4b1

evilstig4b1 Well-Known Member

NOOB w/ Autox

I need pointers, tips and tricks about Autocross.
    -things I need to bring to the track..
    -parts that need upgrading..
    -ect..

*thanks, LT! :mitsu:

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

things you will need to buy first:
    ceramic brakes
    vented rotors
    front and rear strut bars
    rear sway bar
    coil overs

learn your cars dynamics. its braking capabilities, learn the track, learn which gear to downshift into if you drive a manual. patience

3. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

My main tip...walk the course before the runs start. Twice. Three times. you know how your car feels, how it rolls, how it rotates in the corners. Doing this will definitely help you throughout the day. As for shifting...I have never run a course that I went higher than second. Granted, my R/A will pull right at 55 in second gear. Also..practice driving with both feet. It may seem insignificant, but the small amount of time transitioning from brake to accelerator adds up. Using both feet takes all those small tenths off your overall time.

As for modifications....It all depends on what class you want to run and who you will be competing with in each class. Some clubs consider you in a higher class if you change things like rotors or spring rates. Read the rulebook and determine what class you can be competitive with the modifications you have/plan on. For me, autoX is handling>horsepower. you may be running with a stock WRX....but if he can't hold the pavement, all that power is trash.

My basic AutoX mod list would include:
    pads/rotors
    tower bars
    polyurethane sway bar bushings (F&R)

If you want to go deeper in the wallet and move classes add these to the last list:
    springs/coilovers
    thicker sway bars (F&R)
    wider wheels/tires
    alignment (slight toe-in works well on Lancers and Evo's) Great on track...not good on a DD car
    smaller steering wheel (320-340mm range) OEM Evo wheels are 320MM...direct swap

Maybe that will help you a little. My only other advice for a track day is to WATCH EVERYONE ELSE. If your session leaders are offering ride alongs...do it.

4. evilstig4b1

Hey guys, this honestly helped me out a lot! THANK you so much. I had no clue all of this was apart of autox. Well, minus the suspension, to me.. that's common sense. LOL. But as of right now, I'm pretty good so far with my suspension. I have:

- TEIN S springs (getting coils soon)
    - PROGRESS rear sway bar (22mm)
    - WHITELINE front strut bar
    - Ordering RPW rear upper strut
    - Odering RPW 2-point & 4-point braces
    - Ordering WHITELINE front sway bar (26mm)

5. evilstig4b1

I like that idea, EVO steering wheel. I want one. :pbj: