need some help

Discussion in 'New Member Check In!' started by patriots1, Dec 29, 2009.

1. patriots1

patriots1 Active Member

hey
    i just bought a 03 lancer oz rally. im putting a new head unit in and the wiring harness doesnt fit (sony xplod). i went to best buy to see if they had anything and they handed me the wiring harness that i already had in the car. so then i went on line to sony and they dont even have anything.... so im at a loss to what i should do. can someone help me out plz?

2. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

I had the same problem in my 04 RA...If I remember right, there are 2 plugs going into the factory radio. The harness I had to buy had spots for the factory plugs, and a single set of wires on the other end to connect the radio harness. If all else fails, here is the wiring for the factory sound system....

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Black
    Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Blue
    Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
    Car Radio Illumination Wire: Green/White
    Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
    Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Yellow
    Car Stereo Amplifier Location: front DR Seat
    Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 6.5
    Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Panel
    Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Blue
    Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/Blue
    Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Red
    Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/Red
    Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6.5
    Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Deck
    Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Blue
    Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/Blue
    Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Red
    Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/Red

3. patriots1

patriots1 Active Member

ok. thanks. yeah. this has become a bigger project than what i wanted it to. i use to drive a mazda and it was no problem putting it in there. but this is just a pain. the head unit is held up by 2 brackets that are screwed into the dash its self i believe. and figures, there is no where for me to screw anything into the xplod. ugh... i got all the wiring done today. so that wasnt a to big of deal. and it works. so thats a plus. but now its just getting it to stay in place

4. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Welcome to LT. I think your main problem is having a Sony head unit. I know that sometimes people are short on money, but I would have gone with a nice reliable Kenwood or Alpine, or another bigger name brand. I would recommend getting a new one, unless you really like that one, whenever you are able to. I have heard a lot of bad things about Sony car audio products and have never had any success with them. But, now on a lighter note, hope to see you around the forums, bud. Again, welcome.