Magnaflow Cat back?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Graphite Gray, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Graphite Gray

Graphite Gray Member

Ive been looking a lot online for exhausts lately and been seriously considering the Magnaflow cat back exhaust for my CVT lancer. I like how the tip looks, kind of stock imo. I'm not really a fan of those huge cannons coming out of some other aftermarket exhausts.

I have read that the Injen SES header-back has better performance and would not require cutting the stock piping like the Magnaflow. However, I dont really like how the tip looks. --

Anyone know how loud the Magnaflow cat back exhaust is? I know from videos and forum searching that it has a "nice deep tone." I couldn't find any info tho on its decibel rating. Under 95? under 93? I live in Maryland, so I need one that would be street legal here. Also, would it pass emissions? --It has to be legal in MD for Db level and emissions!!

TBH I dont know that much about cars. I am still learning. What I am looking for is an exhaust that improves performance a little bit without being obnoxiously loud or looking like a fart cannon. The deep sound would be nice as long as it doesn't drone at idle.

The look of the exhaust and possible gain? that it has draws me, but not the idea of having a car that is too loud..

If there is no such exhaust, I will just stick to stock rather than spend my $$ :wink:

2. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

i dont know that much about he magnaflow mufflers, but i know that the injen and other ones that you call "fart cannons" have silencers in them so they arent as loud, most people take them out with makes them louder

3. Graphite Gray

Graphite Gray Member

lol sorry to anyone that takes offense to "fart cannon". I guess I would just prefer it if people cant hear me coming :lol:

Not really my style to go unsilenced but I understand that is what some people like. I know now that the lancer is not a performance car, so for me the choice really is between keeping stock exhaust or changing out to something that will give me a slight gain, look good to me, and not be too loud.

Since the Magnaflow install requires cutting the pipe, going back wont be so easy. So I need to know if it will pass emissions and be drivable on the street without getting ticketed for "too loud" or anything like that....

4. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

i doubt they will mess with you, i dont think it would be very loud, why dont you just change the muffler if your looking for a better look and sound. itll be cheaper

5. Graphite Gray

Graphite Gray Member

only reason I was considering the cat back is because i found it new for 400 bucks, including shipping. I would like some performance, not only looks and sound. Even if its just a slight increase. :)

I just wanted to know from anyone that has it installed, maybe find out a lil more info about how loud it really is before i get it.

6. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

None, neither cat-back nor axle-back, is really going to give you a noticeable increase in performance. Therefore, if I were you and I found the magnaflow at a good price, I would get it. Since you are looking for a nice sound with a decent tip, I think it would fit your style.

7. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

As far as I know, all the big name manufacturers (injen, greddy, flowmaster, magnaflow, alphawerks, etc.) stay within the federal requirements for sound. That's why you will see some produce "street" series and "race" series products. Street products usually conform to all laws and emissions requirements. However, race products are made for pure power production...no matter what they have to sacrifice to get it.

8. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Why would you have to cut the pipe in order to install the Magnaflow? If it is a true cat-back, all you should have to do is undo the bolts from catalytic converter, and bolt the new one on.

9. Graphite Gray

Graphite Gray Member

im not sure...that was what i read somewhere. I read a pdf with instructions and pics. just didn't save it....

10. 1slowlance

That's weird, because I've never heard of a cat-back where one needed to cut the stock piping and weld it on. Usually just bolts.

11. Graphite Gray

Graphite Gray Member

Oh... So not really any performance gain from a catback either? thanks for the advice! I will consider it for just looks and sound.

Ok thanks for clearing that up! Now just to find out for sure whether cutting the stock pipes is required... :x

12. x32weezyx

x32weezyx Well-Known Member

usually its a pain in the ass to take the stock exhaust off pening on rust...the bolt usually rust together and u have to cut them off...also my n1 exhaust i got on ebay need modification to the hangers not a big deal they jus line up correctly

13. Graphite Gray

Graphite Gray Member

Hey....i found it. THIS is what im talkin about. http://images.autoanything.com/images/i ... /16822.pdf

It says "Remove the OEM system by first cutting the inlet pipe 3" behind the bracket behind the catalytic converter."

guess cutting is needed after all :?

14. 1slowlance

I see, they just use U-clamps, instead of flange connections. That's really weird. I'll have to look at the Magnaflow I'm looking at getting, but I don't think it's like that. I'm pretty sure the one I want is direct replacement. And weezy, mine was a little off as well, and my bolts were really rusted, so I brought it to a friend of mine and he just hit the bolts with a torch and melted all the rust off and they came off easy. But, that's weird.

15. Graphite Gray

Graphite Gray Member

the one you are getting is direct replacement? Where are you getting from/part#? I thought that was the only Magnaflow cat-back available for the 2.0L NA lancer.

16. Graphite Gray

Graphite Gray Member

oh wait nvm u have a 2003 Lancer