Lancer Tuners at an autocross??? Yep.

Discussion in 'RallyCross, AutoCross, Motorsports' started by Subawho, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Subawho

Subawho Well-Known Member

Bras and I took part in the first autocross event with the Las Vegas SCCA group today. The course was nice, designed for a Subaru STI (as we were told the course designer drives one :roll: ) it was very open without any really tight sections.

A random happening at the event: we ran into another Lancer Tuners member! Slipshift showed up to check out the event. He came up to me saying "Wow, a Lancer in the autocross!" Lancer Tuners got mentioned and it all fit together :lol: He is a very nice guy and he is planning to meet up with Bras and I at future autocrosses.

I ran in the STX class with my WORKs springs, Injen CAI, Greddy Exhaust and my new wheels and tires: RC-T4 18x8 wheels with Falken Azeni 225/40R/18 tires. Others in my class were a Toyota Xrunner, VW GTI, Subaru WRX, Subaru WRX wagon....and someone else I forget. My goal was to constantly beat my own times and I did just that. My first run was a 62.XXX (I forget the time off hand) and every run I did beat my previous, ending the day at 57.633. That time was constant with most of the field. The hardcore autocrossers were doing times between 49.XXX - 53.XXX so I have some work to do to compete with them (mind you many of them are running non-street legal cars, or cars with non-street legal tires).

Oh, and I posted better times than an Evo 9 with a huge ass ROAD RACE sticker on its hood. That made me smile :D

As for how Alvin did, Ill let him explain his half :p

2. Subawho

Pics are in another thread

3. MXlou

MXlou Well-Known Member

o rly? lol wheres the pics subawhore?

4. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Nice ! ... that had to be a big ego boost...beating out an evo 9 time, lol. Must have been fun.

When you do something like that, is there an entree fee and some kind of track insurence you have to buy? Just curious, cuase I never did anything like that before.

5. Subawho

Two ways it works:

1. You have an SCCA membership, and so at every event you are covered for 1 million in insurance automatically.

2. You dont have an SCCA membership, your entry fee is ~1.5 times the member entry fee, and you get 1 million coverage for the event.

6. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

^ cool, thanks for the info.

What kind of saftey equipment is required to run on something like that... is it only a helmet, or do they make you have a harness 5-point type seat belt too?

Sounds like fun, to be able to run your car on a road course like that must be gratifieing. Maybe some day Ill have to look into it and try it out.

7. Subawho

All you need is a Snell rated helmet. Bras used a motorcycle helmet

8. kinkbmxrydr

kinkbmxrydr Guest

Did Alvin get a better time than you did?

9. Guest

Guest Guest

glad to here you had fun ou there. Thanks for coming out last night.

10. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Wasper check: http://www.scca.com/home.aspx
    this will answer all your questions

Thanks to slipshft for showing up...Great meeting you.

Nope, Sub is the MAN in this type of racing. I was being conservative and to do the right lines and such. My first time was 69:?? and finished the day with 61.14. All I had was tint :D front/ side skirts, OEM 18s and my coilovers.

pics:
    http://www.lancertuners.com/modules.php ... 5565#25565

11. Subawho

:lol: Thanks but Im not that good...I wont consider myself good until Im killing all of the Evos and STIs :D

12. midunn

midunn Well-Known Member

Sounds good bro good luck with the killing. I'd love to do something like this but my wife would beat my ass.

13. slipshft

slipshft Well-Known Member

I just have to chime in and say... WOOOHOOO!!!

If you haven't tried Autocross, you should! These guys (and girls) are a great group! I had a great time.

If you have a snell rated helmet (aka motorcycle) go and ask for a ride-along. I got a ride in a corvette, and it was a blast. I should have asked Steve, but didn't want to disrupt his concentration.

While beating EVO's is something to shoot for, even a stock Lancer will be fun out there, and mine is completely stock.

Big thanks to Steve and Alvin for showing me around, and letting me hang out. I will be sure to make the next race.

Anyone know when the next Rallycross is?

The Lancer scene here in Vegas is pretty dull (EVO's excepted), so I am hoping it will pick up.

14. Subawho

15. slipshft

slipshft Well-Known Member