K&N SRI Problem

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by userman777, May 24, 2009.

1. userman777

userman777 Member

When I installed my K&N SRI, I noticed that it had a horrible sound when it goes to 2k-3k rpm. Sounds like it is bouncing in my engine, but when i checked it, it was completely tight. Any K&N SRI users have the same problem?

2. Pickasso

Pickasso Well-Known Member

u should've gotten the rrm sri .. that's what i did :)

3. s3th136

s3th136 Member

I have the K&N and dont really hear anything until about 3k but thats just the air gettin sucked in. Check your mounting brackets, one might be loose. Check to make sure everything is tight and that you dont have spare parts.. when installed correctly you should only hear the intake doing its job.

4. userman777

userman777 Member

I know the mounting brackets are not loose because I have tighten them a lot of times, I also thought that was the problem. Could it be the unit is malfunctioning?

5. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

please explain the sound. Not sure what "bouncing around the engine" sounds like.

6. userman777

userman777 Member

I apologize for that. I will record it tom to let you guys hear exactly what is my problem.

7. WillieetheOne

WillieetheOne Well-Known Member

Just a question. Is it possible that the filter body might be just slightly mounted to high and when you hittin the gas could it be hitting the underside of the hood? I still just have the OEM air box so not ur e of the fitment of your kit.

8. Ranger026

Ranger026 Active Member

The best thing to do were to record the noise, and then post it online so we can hear it. That said, did you re-install any parts from the original airbox back into the car?

9. kaliuv

kaliuv Well-Known Member

I have the k&n and didn't have anything like that. If I were u, I would just disassemble completely and install from the beginning.

10. jarol220

jarol220 Well-Known Member

how old is your car? it might be your engine mounts depending on how old your car is the old air box just made it quieter but your problem was still there.