K&N Filter

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Oni, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Anyone have any review from using the K&N drop in. I'm curious about how good it works compared to stock.

2. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

from reading other sites, the drop-in is about 4-7 hp.

3. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

should just be a little gas saved and a few more hp, but the power gained dosent offset the slowness. if you drive 14000 miles in a year and get 28mpg with an increase of 1mpg from the filter, you should save over 100 dollars a year. 45 for the filter, 100 saved in gas at 4$, 30 saved from not buying paper filters. approx

4. ZEROCOOL

ZEROCOOL Well-Known Member

I have the K&N drop in..I like it alot..Not bad at all. I feel a difference. Alternate route if u dont want to get a CAI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. illdietrying

illdietrying Well-Known Member

got one too, a little difference on MPG, also noticed that it accelerates faster from a stop,

6. Gflo412

Gflo412 Well-Known Member

i put mine in a cuple weeks ago, noticed a 2-3 mpg gain and a slight improvement in the low end, deff worth the $50 and a great alternative for SRI or CAI

7. ULIKEIT

ULIKEIT Member

question

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I was wondering if the K&N air filter replaces the cai or sai?

8. arc

arc Well-Known Member

IT goes in your factory airbox replacing paper oem filter. So you have 3 choices...

CAI
    SRI
    Factory setup with K+N filter or hsk filter

9. ULIKEIT

ULIKEIT Member

ok my second dumb question.... so how does the air filter fit in with the differences between the sai and the cai. I believe I read that the sai gives you increased lower end power and the cai gives you increased high ranged power....what is the point of getting one of these rather then the K&N air filter other then sound>??

thanks guys for your answers and help...

I ask this question because I'm about to order an CAI and want to make sure that is a good way of going or if I can get the same thing from a filter which I dont think so...but IF I can save the money and get the same performance then why not I guess right ^_~

take care

10. illdietrying

illdietrying Well-Known Member

maybe below SRI but above stock filter

11. sordid

sordid Well-Known Member

Drop-in, SRI, CAI
    That's how I'd rank them. The drop-in is below because it's still sucking air through that small diameter duct and the tiny slats over the radiator.

The SRI would be next as it's a larger surface area filter and shorter, fatter pipe. Better lower end because of the easier-to-combust warmer air, though leaner with the ECU providing less fuel (yay better MPG than stock.. ?). I find it's still an advantage.. though that sound kills your MPGs more than anything else :O I'm told it drowns out fart cans quite easily with a sound much more aggressive.

The CAI would be the highest one. You don't get the low end or the better throttle response that the SRI provides, but our peak HP is pretty high so might as well fill that with the coolest air possible to get the most fuel in the mixture.

I'm replacing my warm-air with a cold-air intake next spring. Winter's comin and there's no point now.

12. ULIKEIT

ULIKEIT Member

Hey thx for the info man.... I saw this link on some site. and found these for our cars. which do you think is better or is there no difference.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/20A50096A1.aspx

. I heard the sri from fuitis or what ever its called. is not as good and that you lose some hp from putting that on....

any imput is welcomed....

13. DVHopeful

DVHopeful Well-Known Member

does that new hybrid drop in do anything? i have a an SRI but just asking.