Intake Cooling System

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by playa213xx, Jan 10, 2008.

1. playa213xx

playa213xx Well-Known Member

An intake cooling system? seems like it makes sense but usually when things are too good to be true...its cause they are. Now in buffalo it gets far below 32 degrees which would make it useless but for the summers when it can gets past 90 it may come in handy(thats if this ACTUALLY worked) but has anyone actually been bold enough to try this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-08-Mi ... dZViewItem

P.S. if your looking for an intake cooling system that actually does work check this thread.

http://lancertuners.com/modules.php?nam ... pic&t=2102

2. Primetime

Primetime Well-Known Member

i don't think is gonna work the way you want it too. this is going to be like one of those $12 chips offering 45+ hp LOL

3. playa213xx

i don't think so either but it does make sense in a way

4. FinestGTS

FinestGTS Well-Known Member

its fake,

But the main goal of that product would be what they call a "Throttle ByPass"

Which bypasses that extremly hot coolant from goign through you throttle body and heating up your air.

So when its Bypassed coolant goes straight to engine. its a 20min job to do and completly reversable. I've done it to multiples cars now.

added 2whp to my eclipse dyno :)

5. playa213xx

okay so how did you do it then Finest???

6. FinestGTS

Well i havent done it yet to my lancer, but if you look at our throttle body, you will see 2 hoses connected to it, one hose is blowing coolant into the throttle from the egine and the other one is directing it out right back into the engine.

So if you take a tube and connect it from outgoing port to the return port directly, you are now by passing the throttle from getting extremly hot due to burning coolant rushign into it.

Which will drop temps dramaticly on your throttle producting colder air which means more oxy which means better combustion which means more whp :)

Hope that was a pretty decent write up ENJOY :) any more questions feel free to ask.

7. playa213xx

cool man...thank you!!

I've gotta make up for some of that hp i lose with the PZEV :(

8. FinestGTS

Same here bro, im waiting for it to warm up a little for me to do this mod.

9. playa213xx

i know right? 34 degrees here isn't gonna do me any good

10. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Coolant does not get blown into the throttle body.

That is all.

11. crypto

crypto Well-Known Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH

that is essentially the coolant bypass mod. I have it done on my car.........for free.

don't waste your money on that crap. do some searching around EvoM, there is a thread on there on how to do it

basically coolant flows around your throttle body as a way to stop freezing in cold climates. But really it's pretty useless. so all you do is take the coolant line in, and connect it where the line out goes.

it takes about 5 mins.........provided you don't tear a coolant line like i did :)

Also, it adds approx.......0.1 horsepower......not 4-8

12. FinestGTS

Yes is does, do some more research bud. the throttle body has space within where coolant constently flows. So like crypto and i say. This mod is very essential and a must but like i said i am waiting for warmer conditions so i don't freeze my ass :)

13. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

WHAT?

14. FinestGTS

o god lol.

LOOK, Their is a hollow area between the outside of the throttle body and the inside of it. between this hollow area coolant is blasted through to heat up the TB to prevent in extreme cold temps the butterfly within the TB from freezing. (which is slighly unlikely) but anyways.

If you do the bypass you will remove all that boiling hot coolant from rushign through you TB causing it to run at much colder temps instead of extremly hot.

is that good enough??

15. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

I live in sunny cali, so this is somewhat new to me. I have heard of it but wasnt really interested bcuz of the weather.

16. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

it isnt exactly boiling hot coolant.. it really doesnt make a huge difference, as mentioned you get a very minor gain. If you want to extend this further you can get spacers for your TB which are made out of a thermal material which doesnt conduct heat so you can keep the TB even cooler.

17. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

*rushes to work on my engine-bay*

18. Subawho

Subawho Well-Known Member

Best way to increase horsepower:

Put a large block of ice on your engine every time you drive.

19. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

well here in texas the temp is so sporatic i'll have to wait awhile too. the spacer thing could possibaly cool the air down, but i think it was more designed to create space for the air and fuel to mix. thus creating a more even burn. i almost got one for a truck i used to have.

20. crypto

crypto Well-Known Member

better yet, strap one of these on the front
    [​IMG]