Intake and Exhaust

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by brasaldy, Apr 23, 2008.

1. brasaldy

brasaldy New Member

Just joined. this is sweet. Got a 08 GTS. It's a CVT trans. I talked to the dealer about getting some upgrades. They said it would not void any warranties. I dont know much about cars. So... I wanna get a cold air intake and a cat back exhaust. Are there any particular brands or specifications that are better for my car? Is it ok to add that stuff to a CVT. I basically want more power and speed. Are there any other upgrades i should consider? Any info would be helpful. THANKS!!!

2. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

FYI...do a search before posting something new. These topics have been discussed a lot.

BUT...the only CAI to date is Injen.

Exhaust: Greddy, Injen (full exhaust), RRM (Road Race Motorsports), THINK HKS has one and more...

SRI: RRM, Fujita (bad reviews though)

Look around, you'll find more...

3. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

ur dealership tells u no it won't void ur warrenty, but what they meant is no they won't void ur warranty as long as when something does happen, the upgrade wasn't the cause of the problem... so i'd still suggest keeping ur OEM parts to switch it back out in case u ever do have a problem, if they don't see any aftermarket parts, they can't say there were any? eh? :)

4. brasaldy

brasaldy New Member

How much do you think it will cost to get those three upgrades done at the same time?

5. Arcanas

Arcanas Well-Known Member

Well, truth be told, CAI and SRI are both intake upgrades.

CAI just extends the air filter further away from the engine, hence why it's called a "Cold Air Intake"

That, and cold air tends to compress better.

So, you only really need to pick two. Just have to decide between the SRI, or CAI and then pick an exhaust you like.

The important thing is that YOU like it, considering you'll be stuck with it when you're done. So make sure it's something you wanna do, not something we coaxed you into getting that you'll end up regretting later.

Edit: As far as pricing goes, intakes will run you about $150+
    As for exhaust, I'd say around $500-$800ish for a full system. But I'm just listing off prices at some of the systems I've been looking at.

6. ddboy

ddboy Well-Known Member

I am considering a CAI because I had the Fujita and it was complete garbage.
    Here's a concern I have regarding a CAI.
    I have a CVT as well, would I loose the low-end power as oppose to the Fujita which provided off the line response.
    I also have the Greddy and I love everything about it.

7. DaytonaLancer

DaytonaLancer Well-Known Member

Well compared to stock you wont loose low end power, but you probably will loose a lil bit going from an SRI to a CAI.

And as far as prices go brasaldy, they are fairly reasonable. Check out some of the supporting vendor websites to see prices. you can get the CAI and an exhaust for about $300 each. But please read up here on the forums, it ill give you lots of great info on all the products out for our lancer.

8. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

I suggest doing research on what a CAI does, as well as a SRI, Full Cat Back exhaust and an Axle Back exhaust. From there you can decide what is best for you. There are several vendors in this forum that sells all these items

9. ddboy

ddboy Well-Known Member

Sorry if I'm asking what has been asked before.
    Do you know at what exact/near RPM the CAI kicks in?
    As I mentioned before, the Fujita almost kicked in right away.

10. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

The intake is pretty much always suckin in air, so it kinda was always kick in i would think.