How to install MAF on a Mazda3 intake

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by lancered, Feb 28, 2008.

1. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

ok,so ive been getting a few PM's that people want to know how i did this.and were wanting some help.i hope this will help and i hope i do a good job on this.here i go,im writing this all from what i can remember doing mine.
    [​IMG]

1.The first thing you will need are supplies-SUPER GLUE, clear sealer, 2 small nuts and screws, a drill/bit, scissors,a piece of plastic(calculator cover)at least 1/8" thick,a piece of rubber(for a gasket).possibly a DREMEL

the first thing youll do is take the intake tube and cut 2 inches off the tube closest to the TB.on the other end,cut off half of the pipe that flares out.this will give you room from the hood and for the filter.

the next thing youll need to do is take the MAF and put it on the plate of the intake.take a sharpie or something to mark it with to drill out the first hole.once you drill the hole you will notice that you drilled through a weld,its ok,you are going to have to remove the area of the weld to fit the nut just use a good bit to remove the weld in the area(thats what i did).

next take the piece of plastic.use a DREMEL to cut out the hole for the MAF sensor to go through,and drill a hole where the screw will go through too.once youve done this,cut the peice of plastic to the legnth of the MAF and width of the plate.

next,take the piece of rubber and cut it to size of the MAF PLATE.take the piece of thin rubber and place it on the plate and press down on it to make a seam of the opening for the plate.Use the scissors to cut out the circle.*Note-the opening is just PERFECT size for it to seal but this is to make sure its safe.*now take the super glue and put nice amount on the plate,wipe away any remaining glue.*make sure you create an opening for the screw to go through the rubber.*

now,with the piece of plastic already cut out,put some more super glue on the rubber piece and place the plastic on top of it.make sure everyhting is straight so your screw will fit perfect and your MAF will fit perfect.one it is settled,take the clear sealer and run it all the way around the outside of the rubber and plastic,and on the inside of the MAF plate.this will have to dry for an hour,but before you do this put your MAF on the intake and take your sharpie to mark where the 2nd hole should be drilled out.
    [​IMG]
    after an hour has gone by,take the dremel and cut out an section of the plastic where the harness will be going.thisll let the MAF sit flatter.youll greatly appreciate this.it might not look like it sealed but it is.once everything is dry and is ready for the MAF sensor to be bolted down,all you have to do is SNUG up the sensor.if you over tighten the sensor on the homemade plate,youll pull up one side of the plate(the plastic)and pull off the sealer.just snug it on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after this place a coupler on the TB with a clamp,tighten.place the intake onto the coupler with a clamp,tighten.place the filter on with the clamp,tighten.plug in the harness.START IT UP and see if any CEL comes on.if it does then you prolly dont have something tightened down enough.if nothing comes on...good job.you just made a custom intake for a 1/3 of the price with the same results.

i hope all this helps everyone out,i did this from the top of my head,lol.if you dont understand anything then just PM me.im happy to help out.

YOU CAN MAKE A BRACKET TO THE STOCK INTAKE BOX SCREW WITH A PIECE OF ANGLE IRON OR SOMETHING THAT CAN SECURE THE INTAKE.
    [​IMG]

2. delphium_

delphium_ Well-Known Member

nice tutorial

3. playa213xx

playa213xx Well-Known Member

haha you used a calculator cover?? thats sweet dude...good thinking!! :thumbright: :hello1:

4. lancered

its all i could find that i didnt care about.it worked

5. playa213xx

im not hating....quite the contrary actually....

6. playa213xx

7. lancered

no,if i was you id use a flat piece of metal thats 1/8" thick and if you have a connection to a welder and someone who can weld,thatll be your best bet there.