How much can the CVT Handle

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by BigSteve, Dec 10, 2007.

1. BigSteve

BigSteve Well-Known Member

How much extra HP can the CVT transmission handle? A friend of mine was doing to research on my ride cause we were talking about the pros and cons of N/A and Forced induction.. he said the CVT can handle an extra 80 HP without having probs.. now heres my question.. the RRM turbo said that it would promise 80 wheel HP... what do we have to do to our transmission in order for it to handle more HP?

2. eg6motion

eg6motion Well-Known Member

unless your friend is r and d for mitsu he has no way to know.

3. BigSteve

ok... that doesnt help me at all.. anyone else got a better answer?

if the cvt can only handle and extra 80 HP... what needs to be done in order for it to handle more?

4. BigSteve

anyone... anyone at all?

5. huff

huff Well-Known Member

i believe ur friend came up with that # out of his A*S
    but if thats the case ur screwed lol

6. BigSteve

well i would like to know how much extra HP the cvt can handle if hes wrong then.

7. blacksheep818

blacksheep818 Well-Known Member

i dont think anybody knows for sure, how much it could handle just have to wait till RRM lets us know or any other company thats making a turbo for us

8. Mitsu008

Mitsu008 Well-Known Member

exacally u cant really put a limit on something that was prolly rumored up over some mitsu hater site lol

9. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

I know this is a really stupid question but i have to ask it nonetheless...how does an increase in HP affect the transmission...

10. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

How the heck did your freind come up with 80? Im curious. Did he just look at your car/components and just say "yea it looks like it'll only take 80 more" or something...?

The only reason NOBODY can answer your question is because NOBODY (that we know of) has beat the $hit outta the CVT with some boost. When people blow their engine and tranny's THAT's when you find out what THEY did and basiclly what NOT to do. lol

11. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Taken straight from Wikipedia:
    CVT:
    CVT torque handling capability is limited by the strength of their transmission medium (usually a belt or chain), and by their ability to withstand friction wear between torque source and transmission medium for friction-driven CVTs. CVTs in production prior to 2005 are predominantly belt or chain driven and therefore typically limited to low powered cars and other light duty applications.

If you read the definition above you'll see that CVT cars SEEM to not be readily-capable of handling alot more power than the engine was given in stock form.

12. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

which is why we buy manuals now dont we. stick a new clutch in there and your good to go.

13. resolutionny7

resolutionny7 Well-Known Member

I gotta agree on that one but only time will tell what the cvt can handle

14. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

ah well crap...i got the CVT rather than the manual...if there's a chance of messing with the tranny I may just trade up

15. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

ylsuper.gif