how do they perform

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Austin, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Austin

Austin Well-Known Member

are the lancer cvt's as good as the 5speed when it comes to sliding and turning. i dont suppose u can drift with the cvt can ya?

2. Conduct

Conduct Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if Either can "drift", I mean can front wheel drive cars do that properly?

3. chetman7

chetman7 Well-Known Member

i've seen some japanese videos of FWD drifting on youtube....pretty cool

4. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

Yes, FWD can drift, but it is a lot harder to master than RWD or AWD. Here is some basics to explain. One thing to keep in mind is that manuals are easier to drift in.

1) RWD - Most use a heal-toe action to press in the clutch to downshift and then rev the motor in the lower gear. By this time, you have already began to turn the vehicle into the corner. When the high rev of the motor kicks into the rear wheels, the back tires usually begin to loose traction and spin causing the actual sliding motion to occur. At this point, the driver reverses his steering to counter the understeer of the cars natural motion so that the limited grip of the front tires helps to pull the vehicle through the corner.

2) AWD/4WD - The systems use a very different thought process to drift. With these drivetrains, the driver enters the corner by braking hard and turning hard into the corner. Upon aiming the nose of the vehicle in the direction of the exit of the corner, the driver will usually by this time have downshifted and then floors the accelerator to use the traction from all 4 wheels to force and pull the car through the corner. The benefit is that it is easier to go through the corner with less balance negotiation needed from the driver. The downside is that this drift style and powertrain are very hard on the tires, suspension, and brakes, so during a race they have a tendency to give to strain easier by the end of the match. Also, the AWD/4WD are naturally heavier of a vehicle because of the extra parts in the drivetrain.

3) FWD - FWD are arguably the most picky about preforming a drift. As the driver enters the turn, he follows the same general heal-toe process as a RWD does, however, he adds a step to the mix. While the RWD driver would use the downshift to spin the back wheels to temperarily loose traction to start the drift, the FWD driver will usually quickly apply the hand brake/emergency brake to lock the wheels up for a breif section to cause the vehicle to loose traction and start the drift. Once the car begins to slide, the FWD then again, follows the RWD thought process by steering into the slide. The difference is instead of then balancing the amount of power to back wheels to maintain the drift throught the corner, the FWD driver follows more of a AWD ideology by flooring the accelerator and using the front wheels traction to pull the car through the drift in the corner. This helps to fight the the usualy Oversteer that develops by using the E-brake to start the drift in the first place.

Now, as for your original question about the CVT being able to drift, it is possible in theory if you replaced the hand brake with and E-brake style so that it does not lock when used, however, because you can not completely control the amount of power being sent to the wheels between a clutch and the accelerator, the car would be very hard to control and balance. Futhermore, the CVT is not designed for such high strain as drifting as was automatics of previous generations of cars, so I believe the extra strain would cause the CVT to wear out much easier and quicker. Since the CVT is itself really not servicable, you would be looking at have to get a new one anytime you pushed the vehicle to hard and broke teeth off the slutch assembly and fly wheels. At least with a manual you can generally replace these and save the overall transmission from replacement. It is also cheaper to replace parts than a whole transmission as well.

Bottom line, it is plausible, but if you plan to take a Lancer out to an autocross race and drift it or whatever, the manual will be the best option for you as of this time.

Bill

5. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing all this up Bill.

6. Austin

Austin Well-Known Member

yea thx alot bill, i really appreciate that kind sir :)

maybe i just wont drift anymore once i get my lancer.

7. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

NO, I mean HELL NO :D

8. MXlou

MXlou Well-Known Member

hey bras [​IMG]

9. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

No problem. It is easier to explain once and answer all questions that to throw out guestimations.

As for Bras and his comment...

[​IMG]

Bill

10. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

MXlou & WildBill:

[​IMG]

:D

11. Austin

Austin Well-Known Member

lol nice

12. MXlou

MXlou Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

Chances are, if you have to ask someone if you can drift one/or how to drift a lancer, you havent, nor should you be trying to drift one. And please for the love of god tell me you dont think drifting is pulling the hand brake in the snow.

14. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

/\ +1,haha

15. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

LMAO! You guys are hilarious!