Help with SRI install

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by RicanLancer, Mar 14, 2009.

1. RicanLancer

RicanLancer Well-Known Member

I'm desperate to know if someone can help me with this. I installed an sri on my 09 gts last night and the whole setup is giving me issues. After installing, I let the engine idle for 20 minutes but the engine won't stop jumping between 1-2 rpms. When that happened I took everything apart, tightened the clamps and tried again. Same thing happened. Took the car for a spin to see if it would just go away, but while I was on the highway an alert came on saying I needed immediate service, disabled my stability control, and my cvt went nuts on me. I had to control the gears myself just to get off the road. Unhooking the battery fixed everything so I went straight home after that, but the rough idling is still an issue.

I've checked for air leaks and can't find any. The sri setup is a custom one, not a kit. The maf is also properly installed. I've also tried resetting the ecu, which didn't help. Any ideas are appreciated.

2. BlueBallLancer

BlueBallLancer Well-Known Member

your custom kit must be a the similar diameter where the maf goes, try a smaller pipe

3. RicanLancer

you were definitely right about the diameter issue. i used a kit to shorten the diameter of the pipe with the MAF sensor from 3" to 2.5" (the width of the original pipe from the air box) and all the hesitations and vibrations have stopped. everything with the car seemed to be perfectly fine until I got up to about 150 after the install, when my service engine light came on. it came on under heavy acceleration, so I disconnected the battery for a bit and it went away. another 100 miles later, it came back on (again under heavy acceleration). Any ideas on what the problem could be? If it helps, I could take some pictures of everything.

4. brian95638

brian95638 Well-Known Member

something is wrong w/ ur MAF sensor.
    its probly loose.
    i know it b/c i was installing my intake once, but had to move my car to a diff location during install.. so i started my car w/ no intake/maf plugged in and it was going nuts lol

5. RicanLancer

Well yea I already checked the sensor after reinstalling it. It's in there pretty tight, with a rubber washer to boot. Other than the engine light, there aren't any other issues.

6. mullinsmx159

mullinsmx159 New Member

is it a special piece for the maf sensor. and if so where did you the the 2.5" piece for the sensor cause i did the same thing with a 3" piece?

7. Pickasso

Pickasso Well-Known Member

is it a road race sri ? ... cuz i got mine installed .. and it worked perfectly ... like i started the car .. let it idle for like 10 mins .. and after that .. bam 6000 rpm =)) i test the hell out of it

8. geaux 4 breauxk

geaux 4 breauxk Well-Known Member

Nothing is wrong. The ECU needs to adjust to the rise in air flow and lack of resistance from there not being a crazy restrictive air box and 5 different shapes in your intake! Drive it for a few days and let it work the kinks out!

9. peter52389

peter52389 Active Member

The behavior described originally is called "limp mode" the engine behaves this way shutting off two cylinders and throwing service codes. It happens when there is an incorrect air mixture to the MAF. This happened to me once in Maine when it was -19deg F. It took an ECU reset to get back on the road, however your issue is the intake. Try and tweak it and change the air flow to make the mivec happy. It takes 4 hours of car inactivity for this issue to go away on its own as long as the problem has been fixed. My recommendation, Take the intake off. Go with a intake kit custom made for the lancer such as rrm or ingen.