has anyone taking the cat off

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by chago, Dec 11, 2007.

1. chago

chago Active Member

has anyone taking the cat off?

2. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

probably not considering you wouldnt meet emmissions requirements so your car could recieve a defect notice apposed to the very minimal gain you may achieve from not having one.

3. chago

chago Active Member

4. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

i read in import tuner once they did a test of no cat,one with a high flow cat,one with the stock cat. it was on a i think a civic si,but without it they gained 5hp,with the high flow cat,they lost only 1hp,if you do take it off replace it with high flow one so you are still LEGAL.itd be best.plus itll still be pretty loud,especially with the new header coming out.

5. chago

chago Active Member

i dont worry about the legal emission i have a way down here to make it pass the emission test all i worry is if any lights will come on like the service engine light for example do you know?/

6. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

only thing you have to worry about is the O2 sensor,i think its before the cat so if you cut it off after the O2 sensor,then you should be fine.unless theres one on the cat as well.then there will be a little more to it then.

7. Payload

but we'd hope where ever you get your exhaust done they would know what they are doing.

To answer your question a defect notice is what we get over here in aus when the cops pull you over and believe that either your car is considered "defective" . generally due to mods or the car being busted up. So stuff like the exhuast being too loud, rims too big, too low, too much smoke etc. Which is basically a notice telling you to fix them and then have the car checked out at which point you are good to go. I would hope you would have something similar in the US.. or do they just let you do whatever you want to your cars with no rules what-so-ever.

8. eg6motion

eg6motion Well-Known Member

ha, the US has some of the tightest regulations for vehicles in the WORLD. But as for the cat, some states do not have emission laws because of how clean the air is in that location. In my county, there is no emission laws, so I legally would not be required to run a cat. But the cat is the last place I would look for a few extra horses anyway...taking something critical off like that won't turn your 17 second car into a 12 second monster so its pointless.

9. Payload

^ it might if you add enough stickers.

10. eg6motion

eg6motion Well-Known Member

very true, in fact, thats why dealers put stickers on your car...they want you to really feel the performance when you test drive it

11. JayGTS88

JayGTS88 Well-Known Member

I hope a Hiflow cat would come out soon :D