Flowmaster axel-back v2 Update

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Wasper, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Ok.. So I didnt really like the noise level of the 50 series, the tone was what I was looking for, but it wasnt as loud as I wanted. So I went back and had them switch it out for a 40 series.

Why keep trying with the Flowmaster? Well, I like they way a Straight-thru muffler sounds at low revs, but I hate the raspiness at high revs. Flowmasters pretty much stay at a deep tone thruoghout the revs... So, Im trying to make it work, lol.

The 40 series has only 2 chambers compared to the 3 chambers that the 50 series had, its also about 5 inches shorter, so the fit was better. The tone is still real deep,just loader over-all.

heres a couple quick pics... you can see that the muffler was able to get tucked in more so it doesnt hang down as much. The tip is the same untill my new stainless ,double wall ,angle-cut tip comes in next week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple of vids... (It sounds more true-to-life if you use headphones... or turn up the volume some on your speakers.)

the first is a cold start. Flowmasters take a little bit to warm up before the tone gets deep, so its not that great a vid... but I made it, so I might aswell show it. I only reved up-yo aprox 2200 RPMs in this shot.

[​IMG]

The second vid is just a quick, in-car shot, of me driving around the block. The car is still not warmed up that much, so I didnt really push the revs high.. I just wanted to show you what a 40 series sounds like in-car. It gets deeper / louder when the car is fully warm.

[​IMG]

After driving around for a while it sounded real good, my neighbor even commented on it. Ill try to get warm footage, and maybe a drive-by shot, sometime in the coming week after the new tip comes in and is installed.

2. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

how much is this costing you?

3. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

^ Total so far ... about $350 for both systems. twas about $165 per.

4. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

5. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Ummm....

First thing... the average axel-back set-up you can buy online is ...
    Works =$280 + s/h (which I dont think should count)
    RRM = $329 + s/h,
    Greddy = $385 + s/h,
    Tsudo = $250 + s/h

$165 is way to much for a muffler, flange, stainless tip, extra pipe, and the labor to have someone weld it all together? If you think thats to exspensive, then your on another planet.

Alot of mufflers by themselves are around that price or alot more... let alone everything else included.

Taking off the muffler is not making an axel-back.. and even if you put a pipe with a tip, its still just a straight pipe... which in my opinion is way to loud.

I am older then some teenager or tweenty-something kid, Im looking for a more of a deep tone without being super-loud. I dont need people 2 blocks over hear me coming, I just want to hear it for myself.

So... for what I want, I need an actual MUFFLER on my car, something other then the stock one. I personally hate the canister types.. I do not like the way they look at all. And straight thru oval type mufflers get very raspy at high rpms.

So, that leaves me with a very few options.

trust me, $350 for two custom made axel-backs with tips included is not way to much.. its actually pretty cheap.

6. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

Cool :)

Thanx for the friendly response...

7. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Ektor, PM.

8. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Woot !!

Just installed my RRM intake tonight ! I came home and the UPS box was sitting there waiting for me :D

Ok, this is the first time ever having an intake on one of my vehicles... and even after watching the vids I still wasnt prepared of how mean it really makes your car sound!

I did a quick test run after the install around the neighborhood and I like it alot! The car feels more peppy and sounds real good pared up with the flowmaster.

I thought the intakes all came in red, but I got a silver one... which is cool, looks good under the hood.

I got the pully aswell, but will be installing that in work within the next few days. Waiting to do it there cuase we have all the tools, compressors, jacks and a garage bay...also Ill have help there too.

Man, the sound of the intake and the flowmaster 40 goes so well.. they are perfectly balanced in tone... also, the car feels way more peepy with both these mods so far... cant wait for the pully to round it out !

Pics of the intake when I get the pully installed, so ill get it in one shot

9. Redline1

Redline1 Well-Known Member

MY hks hi-power was 249 and then piping from the cat back was only 100

10. 08LanceRage

08LanceRage Well-Known Member

The second vid is just a quick, in-car shot, of me driving around the block. The car is still not warmed up that much, so I didnt really push the revs high.. I just wanted to show you what a 40 series sounds like in-car. It gets deeper / louder when the car is fully warm.

[​IMG]

After driving around for a while it sounded real good, my neighbor even commented on it. Ill try to get warm footage, and maybe a drive-by shot, sometime in the coming week after the new tip comes in and is installed.[/quote]

So is this video is of the 40 Series Flowmaster ???? Sounds good , the best yet ... I think AND DID YOU TAKE THE RESANATOR OUT ???

11. DirectorSe7en

DirectorSe7en Well-Known Member

....very Bass-y.

12. 08LanceRage

yes bassy

13. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Yes, thats a 40 series Flowmaster. I left the resinator intact, I didnt mess with any of the stock piping. I had a shop make an axel-back, sorta like the RRM one, with its own flange and everything. This way I can convert back to stock anytime I wish.

I think that without the res, it might be to loud.

Flowmasters, in case you never owned one, are quite different then a straight-thru type muffler. Straight-thru types, like a MagnaFlow, get louder the higher the revs go. But, Flowmasters "resinate" at certain RPMs, but almost sound stock at other RPMs.

For instance... below 1300 RPMs it sounds stock, but 1300-1600 rpms it gets a bass tone to it. Then it starts to level out in noise untill you get to about 2500 RPMs. At that point it gets very bass-y with its sound and will do so up-to about 3100 rpms. after 3100 RPMs it goes almost right back to stock sounding. (which is nice on the highway).

I like it, it doesnt get "raspy" at all like some mufflers do, and it definitly does not sound like a "fart can". But, it did take me a while to get used to the way it resinates at different RPMs.

14. 08LanceRage

I just installed the flowmaster (40 series) but it doest sound as loud as the video that you put up...... does it take a little time to get louder ?

15. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

on any exhaust it takes time to "break in", 1-2 weeks.

16. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

Why did you angle you tip downward?

17. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Read the First post...

"heres a couple quick pics... you can see that the muffler was able to get tucked in more so it doesnt hang down as much. The tip is the same untill my new stainless ,double wall ,angle-cut tip comes in next week. "

They were able to tuck the new muffler up more, so the old tip was angled down. They only put the old tip on untill the new tip came in.

18. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Hmmm...

Dont know what to say about that. Mine sounds the way it sounds, I dont know why yours would sound any different. I do know that a flowmaster has to be nice and warm for it to sound like it did in the video.

The muffler does change a bit in sound / noise level within the first few weeks, but then it should stay ruffly the same during the life of the muffler.

Ive also read that as more carbon build-up accures on the baffles inside the flowmasters, that they change tone slightly, but I wouldnt know that... I only had mine for a few months.

Like I said in the other post, sometimes it sounds stock, but at certain RPMs.. and especially after its warm, it sound real nice. It takes a while to get used to it.

19. delphium_

delphium_ Well-Known Member

So is the GReddy Ti-C an axelback aswell?
    whats the difference?
    because everyone i ask has a different opinion, some say its still a cat and some say theirs no such thing as a cat for our cars.

And is it overpriced for 380?

20. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

it is an axleback cuz it bolts on rigt after the rear axles.and it is the closest flange to the cat.so it has its differences,you are just switching out the muffler with the axle back unless you go custom,which is cheaper