ECU Flash

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by TILMakeEmTap, Jan 21, 2010.

1. TILMakeEmTap

TILMakeEmTap Guest

I've seen several different topics on other forums and heard that it gives you HP / MPG gain in our cars. I'm very interested in getting this done in my car but I'm too trilled about sending my ECU off to some one else and having them do it. Is there ways for you to do it yourself? Also, is this safe to do? I don't won't to do this and end of having problems later on down the line. I'm not big on engine related stuff I mainly just deal with the body work side of things so if anyone can give me a brief summary of what this is actually doing I'd love to hear it. I'm not too big on the HP gain if anyone is wondering but the MPG thing really interested me when I saw the thread.

2. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

For starters, if you don't know how to tune stay far far away from even attempting it. You more than likely are refering to the company WORK. They take you ECU and flash it with a new tune that basically changes your air/fuel ratio.

There are 2 drawbacks that I see with this method.
    1. Sending in your ECU for a 1-2 week timeframe. Can't drive the car.
    2. If by chance you take your car in for service at a dealership, they may run a scan on the ECU. They will notice that the parameters are different from stock and "reflash" it back to stock. There went all that money!

On the positive, there is an alternative. The RRM piggyback ECU. There is no downtime sending in your ECU. Its a small box that is wired in conjunction with your ECU. This too will provide you with more hp/tq and better gas milage.

Also, if you ever need to take the car in for service, it can be removed with no harm. Then rewired back in 10 minutes. I wired mine with male/female butt-connectors for easy installation/removal if need be.

Here is a link to the product page: http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/...ge=product_info&cPath=1_23_24&products_id=295

Hope this helps out. If you need any help let me know. And just so you know, I was the tester for this when RRM was developing it in 2008.

3. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

^^ Go with a piggyback during the warranty period. I don't know about the new lancers, but when I bought mine in 04, it had a 10 year/ 100k. Of course, i started modding and the local dealership gave me shit about everything. I took it to another dealer, and no problems at all...just shows that some dealerships are very strict, and others could care less.

4. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Like Serious said, if you don't know too much about tuning, stay very far away from it. Lol. And the piggyback ECU is a pretty good idea. I was looking at getting it from RRM for mine, sometime in the future.