Does cat-back void warranty?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by mhmayhem88, Dec 10, 2009.

1. mhmayhem88

mhmayhem88 Well-Known Member

I can't seem to remember where I may have come across it but I thought I remembered reading that cat-back systems will void your warranty. Is there any truth to that or is it just my imagination?

2. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

To my knowledge its your imagination..

3. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

I think a header or hf cat or test pipe voids a warranty, but a cat-back doesn't.

4. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

HUNK is right...a cat back does NOT...anything BEFORE the cat could possibly void the warranty, depending on what it may be though.

5. 1slowlance

I know my friend with an 08 colorado was going to get headers, and the dealer said that would void the warranty. I just kinda thought it went across all dealerships.

6. y2ray7697

Hey, while we're on this topic I'm heading to my exhaust shop tomorrow...anyone think it'll pass inspection to cut everything off after the cat and just have them do straight pipe with a tip on the end? haha!

7. 1slowlance

That MIGHT work. Lol.

8. y2ray7697

haha if the worst thing happens i'll just take it to the exhaust shop to be inspected since he's an inspection station too haha! No way he won't pass his own work!

9. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

OK, If I remember correctly....the Magnusson-Moss act states that any modification that improves a vehicles performance, reliability, or appearance will not affect warranty coverage. Now, i'm pretty sure that removing cats WILL...but I really dont think that headers, downpipes, cat-backs, or axle-backs will cause a void in warranty. Unless...the part that was installed is the cause of the malfunction of the vehicle. I had that problem with my RA back in 04 when I had a 2nd gear synchro die in the tranny. I wasn't driving hard or anything because i was still in the "break-in" period for the car ( it had about 420 miles on it). They refused to cover it under warranty because of a "modified exhaust system and altered suspension". I read up and came across that court case and the whole Federal act afterwards of what exactly voided warranty coverage. I went back, told them that they could not legally deny me services and they changed their minds really quick.

Just look up and read it....it will tell you everything that you need to know.

10. chetman7

chetman7 Well-Known Member

magnusson-moss act or not.....dealerships are real anal if you mess with emissions...so i wouldn't mess around with the cats.

11. mhmayhem88

mhmayhem88 Well-Known Member

^^^ A good point. Only reason I was asking is because I was trying to decide between cat-back and axle-back exhaust. I'm thinking I'll just go with axle.

12. y2ray7697

well if you're looking for an axle-back, I'm getting my whole exhaust redone...I have the TSUDO axle-back on my car, I'm more than likely gonna be selling it once I get the new piping on

13. hookinLancer

hookinLancer Member

I would think if the cats were still on the vehicle then you should be fine. Dealerships are really strick tho nowa days so it wouldn't suprise me if they would void it if there was a problem with your exhaust, cat, or engine seals. worst comes to worst, put the stock exhaust on :p

14. lordayne

lordayne Well-Known Member

I was told by my dealership that cat back does not, nor does a short ram intake, a CAI I was told could, as well as any mods done cat forward including headers. I was also told that if I lower my car they will void my warrantee, which makes no sense to me since it involves parts that suffer from wear and tear and not usually mechanical failure. So i guess it depends on how cool your dealership appraiser is. Mine is a bit of a dick.

15. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

Voided warranties are a myth. They can only refuse service depending upon problem.

16. lordayne

lordayne Well-Known Member

The parts dont actually void warranties, but if they prove that a problem was caused by those parts then they can void it. The dealership wants to head it off before it happens, but I don't want to take any chances until I talk to my rep. That is why i cant understand how lowering springs can void a warranty, per my last reply

17. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Changing your exhaust WILL void your exhaust warranty and your exhaust warranty only. Mitsu will not cover leaks, rust, corrosion or anything else that goes wrong on your new exhaust. Not will they cover anything that without a doubt is caused by the aftermarket exhaust.