CVT Vs. Manual

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by BigSteve, Nov 14, 2007.

1. BigSteve

BigSteve Well-Known Member

When the Turbo comes out for the CVT, I think its gonna be fast than the Manual.. the CVT is 1 gear that expands like a rubber band... Manual will have more "boost lag" considering they have to shift gears.. CVT's can power break it off the line.. while power breaking that builds boost. All in all i think the CVT is gonna be faster... what do you guys think?

BigSteve

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Honestly, oh where do I start. Hmmm! Well I think it will be awesome for those that want the extra power. However I dont think that the power to cost ratio will be worth it. Cuz when it comes down to it.
    We will still be slower than a Ralliart and an EVO. That just bums me out.

**But yeah your probably right about the CVT vs. Manual.

3. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Yeah, because we all know that automatics rule at the strips and rally. :roll:

4. eg6motion

eg6motion Well-Known Member

it depends on the car. Most drag cars do not use straight manuals, they use a form of an automatic with high-stall torque converter to keep the power in the optimum range. Given the lancers weak starting power, of coarse the manual will be quicker, but add a turbo and the advantage will be towards the one that can keep the power at the optimum range....just physics really. But thats assuming the CVT can handle it too.

5. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Yes, but do you not think professional drag teams have not tried this magical "1 gear that expands like a rubber band"? Teams have tried just about everything possible.