CVT - Good?

Discussion in 'New Member Check In!' started by Invincible, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Invincible

Invincible Well-Known Member

Hello all
    this is my first post here, my name is Yaser n im from Dubai..
    Sold my first car a week ago (Skoda Fabia 1.4 16V), and placed an order on an 08 Lancer GTS with sunroof, rockford fosgate sound system, HID adaptive headlights, Fast Key n the lot!!
    Problem is, they dont bring any 5 spd lancers here so I had to go with the CVT option even though im not an Auto gearbox person and I enjoyed driving my fabia for 2 years even though there're lots of traffic jams around Dubai..
    Im a bit worried now that I will be very disappointed with the CVT, so What do you guys think of it? Is it fun to drive? responsive? Better than traditional autos? rating out of 10? I've read lots of mixed bad and good reviews about it!!
    What 0-60 MPH times are you guys getting out of the GTS with CVT tranny?

Oh :lol: and how does the GTS handle? its my biggest concern as my fabia had a tuned suspension, low profiles, and rear sway bar..

I will be hopefully getting my GTS in less than a month, will take it for a pro Photoshoot :twisted:

regards

2. Guest

Guest Guest

congrats and welcome.

3. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

The mixed reaction are heavily based, in my opinion, on the previous vehicle that you owned. The CVT is auto like you had, but you will get the paddle shifts that give you the sport when you need/want it. The suspension is by far the best that I have test driven in a while. Yes, the 0-60 may seem a bit low, but that is because of the CVT constantly adapting the gear for optimum performance under hard acceleration versus conserving fuel economy. Also, the current option of motor (4B11) that is in the car is ok, but for the weight of the car, it could use a few more horses which is why Mitsu is releasing another engine variant that is 2.4L I4 vs. the current 2.0L I4 in next year/coming years model. That is what I am waiting for.

If all else fails, you can always get the Turbo kits that are being developed for it :) !

Bill

4. Subawho

Subawho Well-Known Member

Hey man welcome!

Do you have any pics of your Skoda? I would love to see it.

One thing I hear complaints about with the CVT is the lag you get when you start from 0. But, Im sure other than that it is fine. Good luck with the new car :)

5. gatzaraki

gatzaraki Well-Known Member

welcome,enjoy

6. Invincible

thanx everyone for the warm welcomes,
    WildBill, thanx for the nice write up, I read all about the 4B11 engine which seems to be interesting.. only if the GTS was lighter, BTW in Dubai the 2.0 Lancer has the name GT instead of GTS...

here are a couple of nice pics of my old baby.. miss it :cry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

cool car

8. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

I mean no disrespect but that that car looks like a red bad ass mouse! It's even got the black tail. WICKED!

Bill

9. Subawho

Subawho Well-Known Member

Your Skoda is a beauty!

You miss it...did it get wrecked?

Man I wish they had Skoda and Citroen in the states :(

10. Invincible

looool :lol:

thanx alot lol.. thats really one of the sweetest comments i had on my car..

i didnt wreck the car though im not a crazy driver even though i bash it on corners lol
    In its last few weeks it had lots of issues that had to be repaired so the better option was to sell it the way it is and get a new car..

im sure Skoda will be bak in the US market one day, just like Alfa Romeo, they're bak in the US market now with the 8C

11. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member

I've only driven my parents lancer twice, but I must say theCVT is pretty sweet to drive. It's really smooth when upshifting, and those add-on's will NOT dissapoint you. It's so cool walking up to your car, and grabbing the handle and having it unlock for you. (F.A.S.T Key) and the sound system is unbelievable! In terms of responsiveness, the CVT lags quite a bit shifting near the redline, but otherwise it sure is a blast to drive. And if need be, you can shift in and out of sport mode while driving. And yes, it is fun to drive 8)