Cutting the Slits

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by aTm beaner, Apr 2, 2009.

1. aTm beaner

aTm beaner Well-Known Member

I'm going to be picking up a K&N filter that I ordered for the Lancer. I was looking at Lancer EVO and Lancer ES engine bays on the internet and I noticed that the Evo doesn't have those small slits near the intake. The regular Lancers have those small slits that the engine is supposed to use to breathe. So today, I got my trusty knife and started hacking away at it, and I made it look similar to the opening on the EVO. I'll take a picture later and post my job on the site.

This could be like your very own ram air set up. I was looking through the grill, and now I could see where all this air will go into.

This is what I'm talking about!!!

[​IMG]

Now this is what the EVO looks like. I cut mine to look similar to this one. Like I said, I'll post it up later.

[​IMG]

2. brian95638

brian95638 Well-Known Member

it would be funny if that didnt do anything :)

3. mpirklbauer

mpirklbauer Well-Known Member

Someone her did this, he said it´s notice able.
    quicker response on throttle.

4. geaux 4 breauxk

geaux 4 breauxk Well-Known Member

I want to see what the hole looks like after the knife attack.

5. aTm beaner

yeah, but it's all about trial and error. it should work if you think about it. the slits are too small for it to breathe. now it has somewhat of a ram air effect. add a K&N or Works drop in, and it could be even better.

6. LancerRA09

LancerRA09 Well-Known Member

/the reason the evo doesnt have it is because it has the front two air vents in the hood that serve the same purpose

7. aTm beaner

UPDATED w/ pics*******

[​IMG]

this is a picture of me looking at the grill from the hole.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

is the K&N filter supposed to wobble a bit. it's in there and I had no problem put the clips on.

8. geaux 4 breauxk

Prob a good idea for airflow, but if I might make a suggestion, that you not use your trusty knife on any other part of your car. I have a different idea for this, and if I can summon the courage I'll post pics of it.

Scott

9. stefan_bounket

stefan_bounket Active Member

when i first read this, i thought you were gonna cut out slits for fender vents... lol

that's a good idea though. making it a "ram air" system... i my self don't need to hack at my engine bay since i got a cai :)

10. aTm beaner

:lol: :lol: :lol:

my wife would have killed me had i cut fender vents on a 2 week old car. hahahaha

11. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

why not just take that part off the car? It's being held on by some dinky little clips...lol...like the rest of the car..

12. aTm beaner

i didn't think about that. isn't there like weatherstripping on the edge of the hood? i think that panel keeps water from going inside the engine. i'm just going to keep it like that. do they sell air diversion panels for our cars? i check GReddy's site and they only have them for the 03-05 Evo i think.

13. LancerRA09

LancerRA09 Well-Known Member

Why not just get a different intake?

14. aTm beaner

i wasn't planning on doing to much performance mods on the car. the next mod will be on the suspension when I get the Tanabe NF210 springs. my wife has noticed the car feel "lighter" like when she accelerates so that's a good thing. the K&N and the axle-back have definitely helped.

15. geaux 4 breauxk

With trimming out that section instead of removing the whole panel, you get channeling. This will direct the air better into the snorkel instead of just all through the engine bay. Im gonna try this, but a little different route. Ill post pics when Im done.

Scott

16. aTm beaner

[/quote:2l7o5gtv]
    :eek:ccasion5:

post pics of your mod. i'd like to see what you did.

17. geaux 4 breauxk

Prob nothing majorly different, just a little cleaner, maybe a gasket around the opening, and prob a bigger section cut out. Ill have to look at it more, but expect something by Sun night.

Scott

18. geaux 4 breauxk

And that's not true either. If the vents were meant for ducting air in, they would not be recessed in the hood and they would be facing the other way. The front to vents on the Evo are for ducting hot air out, Just like the Evo 8 and 9, but since the Evo X has a rear mounted turbo they don't need to be as big. The center scoop channels cooler air back down over the turbo and out under the car to promote cooling as well. They have nothing to do with the intake system what so ever.

19. pimpinfern

pimpinfern Well-Known Member

ram air only works at 303mph

20. geaux 4 breauxk

^ Do what? lol! That is too funny!