custom intake

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by ballmonk23, Jul 1, 2009.

1. ballmonk23

ballmonk23 Well-Known Member

i made a short ram intake and had big issues. the rpm were'nt going lower then 3k and thats at 10 mph. i overheated and had a loud with a random pop from intake area. it randomly died, the pick was none (if i punch it, she'll just die), and red lines at 80. its a 08 lancer es i went back to stock having no issues. now i redid it to a dual cold air, but i worried about those issues coming back. please give input.

what ive done

had a shop look for any leaks. there was none
    i did use stock sensor
    checked the cone filter
    unplug battery for 30 min
    then tried unpluging battery over night
    tried to give it time back forth to work

all nothing

2. vivimatsuk

vivimatsuk Well-Known Member

post pix!!!

3. marauder96

marauder96 Well-Known Member

what kind of piping did you use? they have piping and those rubber tube thingies at autozone... and cone filters too.. but the sensor part you'd have to fab yourself.

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

It may have something to do with the MAF location. I had a similar prob when I made my intake. I moved my MAF farther away from the throttle body and that fixed it.

5. ballmonk23

ballmonk23 Well-Known Member

my cam is busted but it goes down then Y s out to where both ends are just behind where my fog lights use to be. is what the car came with a good sensor for it?

6. LiX

LiX Well-Known Member

show us pix!

7. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

yeah, the stock sensor is good. just try and experiment with different locations...and make sure both intake pipes run through it. in other words, put it somewhere before it splits off into seperate pipes..

8. prcdslnc13

prcdslnc13 Well-Known Member

that happened on my SI when I had it. It turned out that the MAF location of the intake pulled the wires taught. Then when the engine lurched it pull the wires out of the sensor. Yay back fires!!