Custom CAI???

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by playa213xx, Jan 24, 2008.

1. playa213xx

playa213xx Well-Known Member

I saw the thread about the mazda3 intake but it got me thinking....i did a search and didn't find anything so if there is already a thread please forgive me....But has anyone made a custom Cold Air Intake? (i'd like to stress the CAI because i want a cold air and not a short ram) Thanks in advance!!!

2. blacksheep818

blacksheep818 Well-Known Member

yes theres already a thread about that intake but just to let you know that if you use the mazda3 intake you can use as a SRI not a CAI the only CAI is the Injen

3. playa213xx

wait a minute....so there is a thread about a custom CAI...again i want a cold air....not a short ram....there isn't much work required in making a short ram or modifying the mazda3 SRI as opposed to a CAI...many more bends and modding involved

4. blacksheep818

well no one has tried to make there own CAI this is because INJEN has made one just for our cars

5. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

between evom and this site i've never seen someone post or claim they built their own cold-air extension. you could pretty much tell that by Injen's design and AEM not even having a C/A out yet, that it's quiet a bitch to make a cold-air for our car.

hope im wrong though. cuz injen will run the Cold-Air sales if nobody else makes one

6. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

It shouldnt be hard to make your own.. i had a custom made intake in my eclipse, made of flexible autozone intake piping :D

7. blacksheep818

yea its easy when you have a lot of room in the engine bay like the eclipse

8. playa213xx

the ones on ebay are made of aluminum which is fairly easy to bend....My buddy works at a monro so he has a pipe bender and all but mounting the MAF and everything would be the more difficult part i would think

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I hate to be a dream stealer, but why re-create the wheel? Sure its $300 or so but buy the one that is available 4 our cars already. Do you really wanna take a chance of ruining ur engine or any other related parts.

10. kinkbmxrydr

kinkbmxrydr Guest

actually me and 5th made a CAI intake for his car

i helped him make it, same concept as the injen one

11. Guest

Guest Guest

dont even compare that Frankenstein to the Injen.

12. Subawho

Subawho Well-Known Member

Yeah the one Kink and 5th put together is better....because it was made with homey lovin

13. Guest

Guest Guest

LMAO!

14. playa213xx

by no means are you crushing my dreams. Allow me to explain my logic in doing this...I like to take pride in all of my installs and mods. I like to do everything myself. There is nothing wrong with the way i do things but thats your opinion which i respect. So by no means am i "re-creating the wheel"...i like the term "personal custumization"...money is not my biggest issue although it would be nice to save money in which i can invest into other customized parts.

Now a custom pulley??...not gonna happen!
    Custom exhaust manifold....not gonna happen

But something that is possible(i.e. Custom made CAI)....not imaginable....now thats a different story....

So i think i'll take my chances thank you :lol:

15. playa213xx

not to be a d!ck or anything KRU but whats K R U stand for again? lol

16. Hydrolikz

Hydrolikz Well-Known Member

It says it right in his signature look up :roll:

17. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Kustom Rydez Unlimted = KRU

18. playa213xx

i know what it stands for....i was making a point guys

19. kinkbmxrydr

kinkbmxrydr Guest

yea dude go ahead make one i mean if stores sell pieces to make it then im sure its fine to make your own

20. playa213xx

lol thank you kink!!! about time someone shows support...don't get me wrong....i apprecciate both sides