Chip

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by JDM FLOW, Nov 19, 2007.

1. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

are there any chips out they for our car?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

ones on ebay, but I think we all know to stay away from there for this kinda stuff. LOL!

Naw man I dont think so. I think we just have to man up and get the piggy from RRM.

3. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

oh, alright, well we could just wait and see!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

^ yeah but im impatient LOL! and then r cars will be old.

5. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

... and replaced with the new 2.4L GTS.

6. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

but then you wont be able to race in the 2L category.

i really dont see the point of getting a pre-programmed chip.. just get a programmable piggyback, it will be better than any chip upgrade given that its programmed by someone who knows what they are doing.

7. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Chips can be custom programmed as well. My last car had an SCT chip that had 4 different tunes on it. 87, 89, 93 Octanes and one for nitrous. All were tuned on a dyno

8. Payload

but what about the 98 octane!

kinda strange that you guys can still get 87 octane fuel.. lowest we get in aus is 91 and highest being 98... though 100 is available at 2 or 3 places.

9. Conduct

Conduct Well-Known Member

So is the piggyback something that can be easily removed or added? and is it that much of a performance addition or what is the deal here heh.

10. Payload

seems easy enough to stick one in.. plenty of people do their own install though personally i'd leave it to the pro's cause i hate wiring diagrams.

not a huge performance gain for the money spent on a stock car. You will get a very slight gain because you can tune the car for a higher octane fuel. Where they get better is when you have at least some mild bolt on mods, it can then be tuned to make the most of them.

Also when you get into some of the better engine mods you have no choice but to get a piggyback because the engine runs out of adjustment to compensate. For example getting a bigger throttle body it is reccomended that you get a piggyback because the stock computer wont have enough points left to compensate. Then theres things like new cams and cam gears where you need the pigyback so that you can alter valve timings and stuff like.

The performance gain is pretty good if you tune it for a higher octane fuel and have a few bolt on's but the main benefit is it allows you to actually do those high end mods.

The basic bolt-ons should be completed before you start worrying about a piggyback.

11. paveddistance

paveddistance Member

just a heads up
    dont know if this is stupid or whatever
    but if you plan on getting a turbo
    someone from rrm told me in an email that they are making a different piggy back for the turbo
    dunno if the piggyback now can be tuned differently
    but just thought i would throw that in

12. Payload

The N/A one probably only has smaller amounts of adjustment. I think the lower end systems only give about 10% adjustment in general while the better ones will allow for 20% or more in some cases. Think the blue greddy e-manage for example does -+20% though they are getting a bit old now, the newer model probably allows for more.