cats!!

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by goof, Dec 24, 2008.

1. goof

goof Well-Known Member

has anyone removed there cats or put in a high flow cat? also if u have try and hook it up with a video or sound clip lol also if u do remove them do we get any hp from it? or does it just sound better?

2. NJ08LancerGTS

NJ08LancerGTS Well-Known Member

well if you have pzev you have 2 cats which kill power, removing 1 will help, i will def never recommend removing hte main cat below the car.

3. 07outty

07outty Guest

my injen ses exhaust system replaced the second cat with a high flow one.

the sound is great and there was definitely some h.p. torque gains.

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

when i did my exhaust, i put on a magnaflow cat...sounds nice. i'll see if i can get a clip of it sometime soon for ya...

5. AeJarrotto

AeJarrotto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

lol

If your car is pzev there is a test pipe from RRM, or you could just go to a muffler shop. Or you can do it the old fashioned way, hollow the cat out with a coat hanger or metalrod, and pull the s#it out.

6. 96Blacksunshine

96Blacksunshine Well-Known Member

did this before on my buddies car. Came to find out one cat had been blown out already. Explaining the odd exhaust note. Also don't breathe in the cat dust. Supposedly full of asbestos and junk. Not healthy.

7. AeJarrotto

AeJarrotto Well-Known Member

=1 and precious metals like platinum :D

all the stealerships around here have had hundreds of thousands of dollars stolen from the new catalytic converters being chopped off new vehicles.

8. BlueBallLancer

BlueBallLancer Well-Known Member

if only we were as sophisticated to know how to extract that platinum haha

i am very hesitant on putting the high flow cat, it seems the CEL light comes on for like 80% of the crap done to either cats or intakes.

9. lancertrips

lancertrips Well-Known Member

If your car is pzev there is a test pipe from RRM, or you could just go to a muffler shop. Or you can do it the old fashioned way, hollow the cat out with a coat hanger or metalrod, and pull the s#it out.[/quote]I was wondering about that test pipe, does it eliminate the cat on the manifold or the one in the middle of the exhaust? I'm a total noob when it comes to Lancers. :mrgreen:

10. goof

goof Well-Known Member

thank you everyone for your help im gonna try to go to a muffler shop and see what they recrommend ill keep ya posted

11. BlueBallLancer

BlueBallLancer Well-Known Member

supposedly the CEL comes on with the rrm test pipe after a week of driving. not so sure about hollowing out the cat... i would think you would fail emissions when the time comes

12. goof

goof Well-Known Member

lol i live in fl fu*k emmisons the air is allready polluted lol

13. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

i have a pzev and i have the injen ses and the rrm header. so i only have a high flow cat.

14. medic

medic Well-Known Member

Watch out! Federal law actually prohibits the removal or replacement of working factory cats. If your local officer friendly isn't as friendly as he could be... you could be looking at a very expensive ticket. Most exhaust shops around here won't even take them off if they are still functional.