Cat-Back VS Axle-Back Exhaust

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by spiderman671, Oct 31, 2007.

1. spiderman671

spiderman671 Guest

Probably a lot of you guys already know the difference between a Cat-Back & Axle-Back Exhaust System. But for those who might not know what the difference between the two, here is some information to help you.

------------------------------------------------------------

In the world of aftermarket exhausts there are two types of exhaust systems. Cat-back exhausts systems and axle-back exhaust systems. Each type gives you car a significant horsepower boost. Stock exhaust systems are very air flow restrictive. They are designed to be quiet and run softly. Overall they are made for ride comfort. Replacing the exhaust system allows air to flow much more freely through your car and thus allowing more power to the wheels equaling a horsepower boost. The trade out is the exhaust system is much louder and the muffler doesn't act as a muffler but more as an air release outlet. Aftermarket mufflers come in a number of unique styles contributing to a variety of sounds. Simply put, some mufflers have what is known as resonators which give the car a low, deep sound. The mufflers that don't have more of a high pitched bite to them.

A cat-back exhaust system is the most common way auto enthusiasts start with changing their emission systems. What catback means is that anything from the car's catalytic converter to the muffler is made of bigger aftermarket material most commonly stainless steel. It provides good gains in horsepower and increases the sound volume of the car. Also as a plus, since the emission system can work more efficiently gas mileage increases.

Axleback exhaust systems work the same way, just better. The exhaust manifold(headers) all the way to the muffler are aftermarket. Changing the headers for aftermarket piping(usually ceramic material or stainless steel) increases horsepower even more by completely unrestricting air flow from the engine on down to the muffler. Gas mileage also improves plus the car gains even more sound volume making it a definite head-turner when your cruising down the street.
    To wrap up, if you're new to the car tuning business getting your exhaust system changed should be high on the priority list for performance reasons and it gives your car a new aggressive look.

>> By: Jeffrey Abraham <<
    Helium.com

2. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

Good notes, this deff makes it a lot clearer for us newbies

3. angryGTS

angryGTS Well-Known Member

Not always, but 9 times out of 10 yes, take the 3g Eclipse, that exhaust system was very well designed in terms of stock performance, of course the only thing holding it back and wasnt even that big of a problem was the muffler itself, unless you went turbo on that car an aftermarket exhaust was basically just for sound, no real performance gain EVEN a catback system, maybe at the most 4whp at the top end you could get around that just by throwing on a good universal aftermarket exhaust. But good write up nonetheless. :D

4. JayGTS88

JayGTS88 Well-Known Member

how can a axle back be better then a cat?

5. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

This is misleading. Axle-back's literally imply that whatever "axle-back" you bought is only aftermarket from the rear-axle and back

Axle back does not mean that the headers "all the way to the muffler" are aftermarket. lol if that was the case then anyone that bought RRM Axle-back exhaust's also have modified headers. lol i wish.

6. spiderman671

spiderman671 Guest

just remember, that's not my notes. :D that reminds me, i forgot to mention the source.

7. FetorHepaticus

FetorHepaticus Active Member

huh?

needs some clarifying--i think?!?

cat back---modify everyting from stock cat convereter down to the muffler,hence the term "cat back".

axle back--modify the exhaust system from rear axle to the very back of exhaust,which is a bit of piping, muffler(s), and tip, "axle-back". like the RRM Magnaflow Axle-back.

*header back*--modify from exhaust manifold all the way down to the muffler.

header back system gives you the most gain.

btw, any1 here knows if any headers are being designed/produced for the 08s? this car needs some low-end juice!

8. spiderman671

spiderman671 Guest

I forgot which company was already testing one, but I'm pretty sure after SEMA they will have headers available.

9. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

if this guy knows cars so much how did he mess up axle-backs' so badly? lmao. you should edit your first post so that if this is a "sticky" we can give the most accurate info

10. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

^it has been done

AEM and Injen already have some in the works.

11. BrianRRM

BrianRRM Well-Known Member

with the 08 the opening up the exhaust to much hasnt proved a good way to go, i am not sure that alot of companies will do a cat back exhaust, also the federal cars have a different length header so that dictates the length of the cat back therefore making it hard on the manufactures to make it for all of the lancer models. i believe that greddy and a few other companies are just doing and axle back exhaust.

12. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

13. GTS_Rob

GTS_Rob Well-Known Member

tommorrow i wil have no cat....shhhhh

14. Als09GTS

Als09GTS Active Member

I thought this was helpful until I started reading through all the posts. Now I'm just confused.

Hands down;
    which is the the best way to go:
    cat or axle

15. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Depends on the car and the design of the stock exhaust.

In most cases catback is the most beneficial (power wise)
    By that same token axle-back may be the more quiet of the 2.

Although i myself have experienced Greddy Catbacks on my girls Si and my old 3g v6 eclipse. That company always seems to deliver in the best of both worlds scenario.

For our lancer specifically, i'd say Axle-back is best. And i've tried the Injen SES catback too

16. Als09GTS

Als09GTS Active Member

Thanks. Very helpful, man. I am probably going to be purchasing the RRM axleback within the next month.