CAI worth the money?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by dudejman05, Apr 10, 2009.

1. dudejman05

dudejman05 Guest

2. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

i wouldnt pay that much for it....wait for injens new CAI for us 2.4L its said to have better gains than even that one...ill see if i can find thats info again, i know i saw it somewhere around here...

3. mpirklbauer

mpirklbauer Well-Known Member

I think that is more a SRi than a CAI.
    The CAI for the 2.0 are all down to the bumper

4. dudejman05

dudejman05 Guest

It is pretty damn expensive for just 6hp. I've also seen most CAI down to the bumper. this one sits where the box is

5. ballmonk23

ballmonk23 Well-Known Member

i think that is a sri and i dont see 6 hp unless u got a vented hood. i ve seen better prices

6. bambam

bambam Well-Known Member

wait for the injen!

7. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

I started off with the K&N when I got my R/A...it is a SRI...and not worth that kind of money. I would recommend either waiting for the Injen or do what I did...experiment and make your own. I made a full 3" that sits behind the bumper and put a small air duct to direct airflow.

8. dudejman05

dudejman05 Guest

Anyone got a link about the Injen CAI?

9. stefan_bounket

stefan_bounket Active Member

buy it used. $300 is way too much for a simple intake imo. I paid $120 canadian for my CAI :)

10. ejlancer

ejlancer Well-Known Member

i have the fujita and its pretty much the same damn thing its up 2 u if the 300 is worth it

11. dudejman05

dudejman05 Guest

The fujita, I didnt find any for the 2.4L.

12. Dabrits

Dabrits Well-Known Member

Honestly, intakes are pretty crappy investments when it comes to $/WHP. I would just go to Auto Zone and buy some generic 3" intake piping, dremel it to fit and slap a cheapy filter on it. Now if you wanted to upgrade, get a BP Initiative Flow Stack kit with a K&N filter on it, heat wrap the whole thing, install a heat shield on the filter and then top off the intake with the throttle body heater bypass. You see gains very similar to a CAI with an SRI.

You'll have that desired top end power because you've significantly lowered your intake air temps. At the same time, all of that air is quickly accessible, so your low end power will be there too. It's the best of both worlds for under $150! You can't get much better than that.

Info about the BPi for your reading pleasure:

http://www.bpinitiatives.com/
    http://www.bpinitiatives.com/assemblies.php
    http://www.sr20-forum.com/product-revie ... post223833

13. dergre

dergre Member

I have the Ingen CAI and it sounds great. Paid way to much but it looks and sounds good. You can tell in low end on the CVT has more pull off the line, and its not super loud witch i like myself. Cant go wrong with Injen.

14. chelecuche

chelecuche Well-Known Member

agree!!!!! i have a injen CAI too and personal i think that is my best mod.... its sound really great and i t was not hard to install....