CAI vs SRI

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Bryn1987, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

just thought i'd through this out there as i was researching CAI and SRIs... in the end, i think i'd be happier w/ the CAI

2. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

Summary

CAI
    - more power gain
    - chanse of sucking up water ( BAD )
    - can loose some throttle response if the piping is too long

SRI
    - less power gain
    - dont have to worry about sucking up water
    - will gain throttle response over stock due to shorter piping

I'll take the SRI thanks, i go through quite alot of unavoidable puddles in winter so i dont want to take a chanse with the CAI.

3. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

our cars arn't that strong to suckup the water. You must go into a really deep 1 to hydrolock your motor.

4. ddboy

ddboy Well-Known Member

All I gotta say, a lot of reading :D :lol:

But seems like a good post/info.

Thanks for posting, I'll read it tomorrow.

5. Bryn1987

ya it's pretty long, but i learned a little bit.. some of it i already knew, like the fact that having a long tube (CAI) means a slower throttle response... but it's a nice reading :)... and like above, our cars aren't strong enough to suck water through the CAI, can't remember where, but someone literally took a bucket of water and tested it o_O... that guy must of really had balls to try that

6. westcoast

westcoast Well-Known Member

Im no car expert or anything close to that, but i think the SRI would be better because at somewhere around 3k-4k it seems like the powerban kicks in. The rough part is getting their quickly. Seems like the cars are slow off the line but once they get going, they go. I dont know much about cars, just saying from how the car feels.

7. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

SRI's are more active in the higher powerband I believe, so it wouldnt do much for your off the line.

Also, I've known many modders, and been on many forums for each car Ive owned, and and never, not once have I ever heard of anyone hydrolocking. I mean really, think about it.

8. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

i beleive your misleading,the SRI is better in the low end than high end.ALOT of people will agree to that on here,the Injen CAI is ALOT better in the higher rpms,from what ALOT of people on here have said that have it and reviewed for us to consider what we are looking for.our lancers need more of the low end power to get off the line,hence we get a SRI to help in that region.thats why its called a short ram-shorter pipe,better throttle response less time for the air to move into the motor.the CAI brings in more cooler air,but takes a little longer to enter the motor,cause of the piping.

9. Bryn1987

+1 SRIs are better in the lower band and CAI better in the higher band...

and just for a little info, i think the reason y the lancers are slow at the start is their low torque... 146 ft-lb isn't all that much and compared to the mazda3's who have 150 ft-lb and a lighter car :-\... can't wait for the new GTS, 167 ft-lb... 21 more torque ^_^... it's supposed to be a whole second faster in the 0-60 time ^_^ w00ts..

10. Devious813

Devious813 Well-Known Member

hey lancered where did you get that shark fin , i want one it looks alot better than this RC antena on top of my lancer

11. Bryn1987

too lazy to look for it, use the search function, it's been said a couple of times... :p

12. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

Fair enough, was just stating my experience from other vehicles. Ive only ever noticed a little more on the top end with my other cars. But I've only used the injen CAI lancer so I dont have a true comparison.

I will say I have personally feel like it improved through out, no just higher rpms.

13. lancered

ebay-search-shark fin functional antenna mitsubisi lancer=$82 painted

14. lancered

when i had my mazda sri on my car.i felt a little help from it,a little.but i did feel that i LOST some in the high end of the rpm range when i get my spirited driving in hand.i think that just because my intake isnt roaring right behinid my firewall,it isnt any quicker.its just quieter.but i cant blame myself,ive only spent $20 on the mazda intake and about an hour of free time.so my plan is to just get a better than factory drop in filter.