Bumper black out kits on ebay worth it?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by soldier7duece, Feb 16, 2009.

1. soldier7duece

soldier7duece Member

Just got my 09 Lancer GTS in Octane Blue. I'm really interested in blacking out the front bumper. Been looking at some of your guys' car photos and I really like Skullpr's front bumper. Does the kits you get from ebay include enough vinyl to cover the chrome around the upper portion as well? Also, where can I get the R/A style chrome edging like Skullpr has? Thanks

2. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOO...
    Crome can be picked up at your local autozone/pepboys. Vinyl is easily available, just might have to call and ask around first. Everything is very cheap compared to the kit the is on ebay.

3. SoflaGTS

SoflaGTS Well-Known Member

kit is definately worth it
    did i on min and it is precut and perfect fitment

4. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

This is my front end:

[​IMG]

Total cost : $35

5. soldier7duece

soldier7duece Member

That is exactly what I want mine to look like LuvMyLancer! The upper portion around my emblem is chrome as well, does the kit cover that too? Also how did you do the chrome strip around it? What supplies and from where?

6. brian95638

brian95638 Well-Known Member

luvmylancer-
    did your bumper have holes precut by dealer? how did it cover that? thx

7. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

well when you put the vinyl over the bumper it will cover them or you can fill them with some filler you could buy at home depot or similar... it doesn't have to be pretty just smooth the vinyl overlay will cover it just make sure it's smooth!

8. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

I spraypainted the chrome grill black (I should've primed it first cuz it's chipping a little bit now so I'm gonna redo it)

Yes there were holes in the bumper (still are) but the vinyl covered it up pretty good.

The chrome I just got from an auto store. It's door trim... lol 1/4''

So ya... about $35 for everything. Turned out nice, IMO.

9. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

the vinyl i got it from ebay a 2'x10' roll and my cousin made the cuts...it was a pain, so if you can get the precut one i suggest you do...the chrome grill that comes with our cars you can either get a friend with the base model and have him/her exchange the grill with you (thats what i did) or you can remove it, sand it, prime it, and then paint it...the chrome trimming you can find it a pepboys or auto zone, youll find in 1/4" and 1"...i was originally looking to get it 1/2" but they didnt have it, thats good because i like it how it looks with the 1/4"...good luck!!! :D :D

10. mikeike8

mikeike8 Well-Known Member

i got my kit from ebay and after about 4 months it started to rip.. i think it just got real dry and started to crack a lil.... but the ebay ones are the perfect fit if thats ur main concern...

11. BCAPE

BCAPE Well-Known Member

Is vinyl reversible? What if it doesn't turn out to well?

12. skullpr

just look at most of our cars...mine so far so good...

13. soldier7duece

soldier7duece Member

I think I'm gonna give the precut from ebay a try, it's not that expensive anyways. I wonder how the chrome piece would hold up with vinyl applied to it as well. That way at least all the blacked out areas would be uniform in texture and color. Still, I gotta wait till it gets warm out and it doesn't seem like that happening here in ohio for a bit :(

14. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

can someone post the link of the ebay page, because i typed it in and couldn't find it. this will work for the bumper but will it work for the grill?

15. Greell

Greell Active Member

Ok Here's the deal---the vinyl works for the bumper well----more expensive does not mean its better quality vinyl. The ebay kits aren't bad at all, its kind of hit or miss whether its going to crack sooner, or later.

Yes it is reversible, that is the benefit of going vinyl (aside from the fact its about 120 dollars cheaper than having it painted), you can place it on, if you mess up, you can remove it just as easily. once it is removed, you have to buy a new one----so if you install it, screw up, remove it---you gotta buy more vinyl to try again. it's a pretty easy install though if you know how to install graphic vinyl, or read the directions.

Jacob,
    it can work for the grill, assuming you mean the chrome. However, I don't recommend it, because its difficult to make it look right (without some of the chrome showing through)---and it has a high chance to look ghetto.

Paint the grill black, vinyl the bumper, and you'll be lookin good!

16. mikeike8

mikeike8 Well-Known Member

completely reversible... its just a sticker :) lol

17. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

i have my grill and bumper painted but when i went on my trip to see my mom in GA a rock flew up and hit the grill and chipped the paint off. and i'm tried of repainting it. so my choses are to have professional shop paint it or vinyl.

18. BCAPE

BCAPE Well-Known Member

bought my bumper blackout kit off ebay the other day =]

[​IMG]

19. skullpr

looking good bro!!

20. jorgeous8

jorgeous8 Active Member

where'd you get the license plate side mount? dont tell me on rrm cuz its too pricey LOL