body kits & color?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by DJames, Oct 22, 2007.

1. DJames

DJames Member

I'm thinking about buying a body kit from bodykits.com or something, but I noticed that they show all the parts as white. I have a blue car so how would I be able to change the color of them? I think it would look best either black or the same blue as my car. Can I ask them to change it or do I have to do it on my own? thanks in advance.

2. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

im not quiet sure how bodykits.com does their stuff, but when I had stuff ordered from Shinestreet they too, came in the white/chalky coat and i had to have it painted by someone i knew.

unless bodykits.com deals directly with a company that paints THEIR body components, you may have to have your stuff painted yourself as well.

3. Subawho

Subawho Well-Known Member

James, bodykit shops rarely provide you with a kit that is prepainted to match your car. It is white because that is the common covering from the fiberglass being shaved down to make the kit smooth after being pulled from the mold.

Once you get the kit you will need to take it to a shop and have it fitted to the car (because often the kit will not be a perfect match). Once you have it fitted, you can have it drilled and then painted. After you buy the kit plan to spend about the same amount that you paid for it on getting it properly fitted and painted.

You can usually tell how much work you will have to do based on how much the kit costs. Bodykits.com is on the low side, so expect more work on your end once you get the kit. Good luck with it!

4. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

^ agree...Unless you know how to install bodykits, my suggestion would be to take to a professional. They know what to do. If you decide to do it yourself, pre- fit everything before you start drilling and such. Make sure everything is even, straight and lines up. And have PLENTY of patience.

5. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

yup. ^ even my "authentic" side skirts weren't EXACTLY fitted. i had to shave and shave and shave for at least a half hour to make sure it fit right before having it painted

6. DJames

DJames Member

oh I see. thanks a lot for the imput guys, now I get how it's done. :lol: