Best CVT shift points

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Gflo412, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Gflo412

Gflo412 Well-Known Member

hey, sorry if this is psted in another thread, i did a search and cudnt find anything on it, but i was wondering at wut rpms do u shift in sport mode to get the most power/speed? im not too familiar with stick so i dont have any general knowledge of manual shifting, just curious so when i put it in sports mode i can really get the most out of it :p

2. mischief

mischief Well-Known Member

yea i'd like ta know too!
    like best for normal driving. or speeding.
    by the way anyone notice that buy the time u hit 6th gear the car feels like it get heavy or like it gets slower or something????

3. GTS_Rob

GTS_Rob Well-Known Member

the car is faster in D

4. mischief

are u serious??????????????????

5. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

as a heart attack

6. mischief

how so? so the sports mode is pretty much useless? please explain how they both work
    thanks

7. ziggy

ziggy Active Member

personally i think the CVT takes off faster in 1st gear sport mode then shift to 2nd into drive kick RPM's out higher accelerating faster but thats just my opinion

8. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

when i'm in sport mode and feeling like giving it some gas i shift at 5000-5500 from a dead stop. that just me though.

9. Gflo412

thats really suprising that the car is supposedly faster in D....do you have any proof? or at least plausable reasoning? lol

i havent really gone over 4250 RPM just cuz i only have like 320 miles on it....letting it break in a lil bit

10. GTS_Rob

sure. i took it to the track, i ran and ran and ran all day in sport mode. then i put it in D and beat my best run by at least .2 seconds

11. bras_33

YUP!!! I saw the whole damn thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Gflo412

hmm that is definetly interesting, so i guess sport mode is for nothing but the fun of make believe shifting lol

13. bras_33

CVT is nothing but fun of make believe shifting.

14. LancerGTS

LancerGTS Well-Known Member

15. mischief

DUDE I JUST CAME FROM THE DRAGS AND I RACED ON d AND I GOT A FRIGGIN 18...
    O WELL, IT WAS MY FIRST TIME SO IM NOT TO SAD ABOUT IT. I WENT AGAINST MY FRIEND WITH A V6 MUSTANG, HE WAS LIKE A WHOLE CAR OR TWO INFRONT OF ME. BUT WAT THE HECK. ANY OF U GUYS HIT THE DRAGS????
    WAT WAS UR TIME IN SPORT MODE AND ON REGULAR DRIVE?

16. Hydrolikz

Hydrolikz Well-Known Member

Are you CVT guys launching your cars by holding the brakes and gas, or a neutral drop? or just flooring it off the line? Cuz I raced my friends Manual GTS a few times, and it's just off the line where he takes off and i'm always left trying to catch up.

17. GTS_Rob

i think it is faster on the fly than off the line with the paddles.....

18. 08LancerGTS

08LancerGTS Well-Known Member

So have we reached a conclusion on which is faster?

19. Gflo412

how exactly do u launch the CVT? sorry if thats a dumb question but ive never really raced I had a truck b4 the lancer. Is launching bad for the engine or tranny?

20. 08LancerGTS

08LancerGTS Well-Known Member

Powerbrake it haha aka holding gas and brake down... let off the brake and then you are "launched"