a torque damper makes a huge difference

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by sunstealth, Jan 5, 2009.

1. sunstealth

sunstealth Well-Known Member

still in the test phase but I made a torque damper this afternoon (consist of 2 L brackets and a mercedes pulley shock which is like a pickup truck shock but only 8 inches long)

for now since i wasnt in the mood to jack the car on the electric hoist, i worked on the floor and i attached the device to the engine lift buckle which is situated a lil behind the oil filler cap and the other end to a firewall bolt.

the difference was immediatly notable . Next to no vibrations and no more wheel hop at wide open throttle in first gear, it's pretty much like a have a 4th or 5th firmer engine support (depending on how much are there in stock form)

only quirk I have to fix is at the firewall i have 2 bolts touching each others and some noise/vibration comes from there.

I'll get pictures later tonight but keep in mind it's in the testing stage.
    the thing needs nicer bolts (HEX stainless steel bolts) painting the L brakets black or anodizing them and a couple flat washer and nylock bolts

2. sunstealth

[​IMG] this is somehow how the shock looks like . only difference is theres a heim joint at each end of it!

3. mpirklbauer

mpirklbauer Well-Known Member

can you please dyno your car without and with the installed torque damper.
    I´m really interested if you notice it on the dyno numbers.

4. sunstealth

power figure wont change with or without the device

the only thing it does is it stiffens up the engine ence stop the rocking motion which starts the wheel hopping effect

5. mpirklbauer

do you have some pics of it ready??

6. sunstealth

damnit the shock blew apart, oil everywhere :(

no pictures, i removed the whole thing

need to get a mountain bike rear spring later this year

7. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Buy the Weapon R universal engine damper.....

8. mpirklbauer

Are there any news about the damper??
    Did some factory made one??

9. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Ive been looking for one to go on my 04 RA...no luck. I had thought about making one myself, but just havent taken the time to scavenge for parts. Wheel hop is terrible in my car...

10. BaD2RaSS

BaD2RaSS Well-Known Member

Actually this would factually add horse power because your not exerting power to roll the engine. I know this from personal experience I bought a universal kit for my 88 starion and dynoed both ways gained like 7 horsepower and like 12 lbs of torque. Minimal but a lot more comfortable than solid motor mounts.

11. chetman7

chetman7 Well-Known Member

whats the difference between this and motor mounts?

12. mpirklbauer

It´s easier to intall!

13. BaD2RaSS

It works in unison with the engine mounts it stops the engine from rocking back and forth when hitting the gas and shifting

14. BaD2RaSS

You can also remove the torque mount for comfort.