3 Inch Intake issue.

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Conduct, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Conduct

Conduct Well-Known Member

So I installed a 3 inch intake, and now when the car idles it surges. Any ideas or troubleshooting? I think it might be the mass airflow, but I would like to hear what you all think on the situation.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh wow! um yeah its the intake. Ur car can not safe ingest all that air properly. Your basically choking the crap out of it. Your freakn out the ECU and making it run on the worst map possible. Not to mention ur leaning the heck out of it. Tickn time bomb! BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

3. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

yeah what KRU said...any pics of the setup????

4. eg6motion

eg6motion Well-Known Member

its most likely the MAF sensor. Intake tubing has little relative difference on making your engine idle poor, but having the MAF sensor in a different position than a smaller intake tube will definitely cause false readings and poor idle...and possible CEL. What intake did you use that has a mount for the Lancer MAF?

5. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Exactly, the piping is way too big

6. resolutionny7

resolutionny7 Well-Known Member

ya piping is wayyy to big your flooding the car with so much air that it doesnt know what to do and cant compensate for it. I love how the ecu is smart enough to not let us turn off the drl's but dumb enough to not allow more airflow hahah :lol:

7. Conduct

Conduct Well-Known Member

Ok, well I fixed this problem by just adding 2 simple rubber "O" rings right before and after the sensor, now it's all better, not running lean or idle problems, I'll post a pic when I get back to the states :D

8. chetman7

chetman7 Well-Known Member

3 inch piping!!!! I wonder wat caused the problem :roll:

9. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

more than likely that it was blocking off a section of the sensor or the air was swirling around too much so it was getting false readings. It really doesnt matter how big the pipe is.. the car will only suck in as much air as it can use.. a pipe cant force air in unless you stick a turbo on the end of it.

I know the CE lancer ( mirage ) was notorious for this. The airflow sensor was an oval shape ( not sure what shape the 2008 lancer is since mine is on order ) but when you used a circle pipe without the right adaptor it would often cut off a portion of the sensor so it would get the wrong air measurment. Also using a round pod filter too close to the sensor made too much turbulence in the air so it got a wrong reading.. an oval shaped pod or using a longer pipe to the sensor solved this.

Again you cant flood it with too much air.. you can take the intake off completely and it will run fine ( assuming you dont catch a rock or some sand or something ) which is like having an unlimited size pipe. The trottle body is what controlls how much air your getting and it only lets so much in. A 3" pipe or a 6" pipe the TB still restricts the flow which is why getting it bored out can give you better throttle response.

10. chetman7

chetman7 Well-Known Member

^^.how does the size pipe not matter?? I knoe nothing about this tyupe of stuff but someone told me if the sizing of the pipe is not the same as the stock one that it will trip the CEl and stuff

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry bro but I have to disagree. No disrespect. The size helps determine velocity at which the air flow past the AMS.
    Any ways that all 4 now.

12. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

It will all depend where you have the sensor mounted. If you mount the sensor on the end of the pipe right after the filter SRI style it shouldnt make any difference how big it is because the air has already been read but if its longer CAI style with pipe before and after the sensor then it can make a difference because they can be picky about how the air arrives to them. I was hoping they would have found a solution by the time this model came out.. looks like they havent. Also im used to seeing them with a rising rate FPR already installed which would probably solve the leaning out problems so the larger 3" pipe may not be an issue in this case. Only know what i do from settups i have seen/had and im sure you guys know more about the car since we have only had them for a couple months.

Something i havent had a chanse to look at that im sure sum1 can tell me is what shape is the MAF sensor. Is it an oval shape like on the older ones or have they finally gone to a more round shaped one like pretty much every other car has.

Id like to see some pictures of the settup though.. i want to see how the o-rings solved the problem.