2008 Lancer GTS M/T 5 SPD Gear Oil?

Discussion in 'New Member Check In!' started by QwertyMess, Sep 23, 2008.

1. QwertyMess

QwertyMess Active Member

I just want to first off and say hello to everyone, first post. Been watching this forum for a little bit and decided to join up today. I must say through all of the progress reports on everyones Lancer are great.

On to the main question.. I have approached 33,000 Miles on my lancer and according to service specs, its time for an oil change (Gear Oil) on the tranny. The service manual asks for DiaQueen 75w-80 Gear oil, 2.6 Quarts. This is a full synthetic oil, and from what i have experienced so far, very few vehicles use this type. I have searched up, down, left and right to find this gear oil in multiple automotive shops with fail. Nobody carries this specific type, have come close by not exact. Everyone has 75w-90 or some other brand and weight. From what other forums have discussed, the EVO takes the same gear oil and if very specific on useing this type. Many people have tried to find replacemenets but again fail.

So i broke down and finally went to the dealer. They sell the oil in Gallons. They want $99.00 for a gallon of the gear oil and in no way shape or form sell individual quarts. Thats basically price gouging, becuase they know you arent going to get it from anywere else. In any case, has anyone found an alternative? To service the car from Mitsubishi they want $150.00+ just to change a M/T gear oil with 2.6 Quarts. RIPP OFF!!!

Any help would be great.
    On a smaller note i also just want to say that alot of users on this forum like to put this car down alot due to lack of performance. Im sorry, but im sure they new what they were getting themselves into. I have never met anyone that just blinds buy a car without test driving, or have done there research. Yeah, its not that fastest car in the world, but damn it is a sexy car, and great handling. Plus, the added featuers such as NAV, Sunroof, and Sound packages, cant beat the price. ok, ok, ok thats all. Thanks

2. Evo8cfb

Evo8cfb Member

AMSoil and Red line make the MTF oil for your car.

there are plenty of oils out there. I think you may be getting confused with actual Gear/transfer case oil and Transmission oil.

In any case, both are available through wither of the two aforementioned manus.

3. QwertyMess

QwertyMess Active Member

Redline does make MTF oil for the lancer, but is rated at 75w080 GL-5, Its in my understandinging that the GL-5 specs are much different then GL_4 which is a dirsct replacement and/or replacement to GL-3 Specs. GL-5 MTF oil is more of a hybrid oil.

Amsoil on the other hand, well i have search all day for it so far with no luck. no 75w-80 GL-3 or 4 from Amsoil.

4. Evo8cfb

Evo8cfb Member

Yeah, you dont want to use Gl-5. I guess i may be wrong. Sorry i tought they did since they make very similar oils for the Evo. I dont have a Lancer. So i am not too sure about required oils and alternate oils.