09 lancer turbo build question

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by scooby, Apr 4, 2009.

1. scooby

scooby Member

okay so im thinking about buying a OEM Evo 8 turbo without the mainfold, now what i need is help with is should i get a evo x manifold ? will that work? or am i going to have to save up and have a custom one built ?

2. scooby

scooby Member

no, i have a 09 lancer thats a totally different motor i belive. someone correct me if im wrong though, but thats why i was wondering if a evo x manifold would work?

3. pimpinfern

pimpinfern Well-Known Member

in theory the evo x manifold should work since it has the same engine as the gts just stronger internals and such, but u cant just buy ANY turbo, how do u know ure car will spool that turbo efficiently? if ure serious about going turbo go to a shop

4. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

RRM will sell you just the turbo manifold from thier kit. Call and talk to Brian or Rob.

But the manifold is the least of your problems. Its the tuning that you will struggle with. RRM is the only company that has cracked the code for turbo applications.

5. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

to the OP, 2.4l ????
    RRM are not the only ones... btw, did you ever get that bov situation straightened out???

6. SeRious08

Name one company that has cracked the ECU to allow turbo applications, has a car running, and offering the kit for sale??? And don't you dare say xtremeboost.... He doesn't have the tuning worked out yet. Yes his car is "running" but having nothing but problems. He designed the kit over a year ago and still can't get it finished.

And Works ECU flash isn't designed for turbo applications.

And yes, BOV issue is solved. I went back to the stock Bosch one. The other was nonadjustable except through shims and thrrew things out of wack when I tried to.

7. EngRWW33

I thought the rfl came with different springs for adjustments.... Glad to hear its all fixed up. Be sure to get us a vid of that working!!!
    but anyways there is tuning being done for turbos other than RRM. I never vouched for the up for sale stuff. More info to come!!

8. SeRious08

Its adjustable by shimming. I tried it without success. Even had my buddy that runs a tuning shop try. Car didn't run well or idle well. So thats where it was in the video.

RRM is the only shop that has a COMPLETE kit with tuning on the market today. If you want to get technical, yes there are several places "working" on the kits but are running into tuning issues. Even HKS can't do it. They have a kit for the Lancers, but havn't figured out the tuning. They had a turboed Lancer at SEMA that didn't run. :lol: :lol:

9. EngRWW33

pretty sure that was just for show...

10. LancerRA09

LancerRA09 Well-Known Member

Would an evo 8 turbo bolt up to a X manifold?

11. SeRious08

Then why did HKS contact Rob at RRM asking, begging him to do the tuning for them????

12. EngRWW33

Well I don't know smarty pants... why don't you tell me? :D

If hks wanted to finish with the tuning they would find a way to. They are a very capable company with many knowledgeable contacts. If they really wanted to come out with a kit for the lancer they would, however they have better cars to work with. Don't know if you have noticed it or not but the lancer market isn't the biggest money-maker out there. :D

13. scooby

scooby Member

well i decided to let my buddy from a local shop secret services do a custom build for it i was looking at the price difference in me putting one together and just letting him do it and it would be in best interest to just let him do a full custom build wich wil include custom manifold , garret turbo , tial wastegate and bov custom down pipe dyno tuned with ec tune i belive im not sure though

14. EngRWW33

^^ what are you going to get charged if you don't mind?? Just curious...

15. scooby

scooby Member

5 to 6k depending on how much extra goodies im going to have installed with the turbo

16. EngRWW33

why not go with a pre-made kit that has testing done on it for less $$$ ?

17. scooby

scooby Member