09 Lancer help!

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by fracture, Feb 24, 2009.

1. fracture

fracture Member

I just bought a 2009 Lancer DE. Im curious what the recomend treatment to up the horsepower in it is. Im having trouble finding turbos and k&N typhoon air intake will only give about 6.73HP for $350. Can anyone tell me what is a good way to get the stock 152hp up and in a money savy way. I would like to get it to around 200 HP.

2. QwertyMess

QwertyMess Active Member

Nitrous, and good credit to buy another car when u fry the motor. Haha.. J/K

Really the only thing that is going to give u that much hp is a turbo or nitrous. Although i do not recommend either unless ur planning on putting in stronger internals. If this is a daily driver car for you then just stick with an axle back and intake. Even with all the bolt-ons the lancer's have, i doubt u will even see 180 bhp. Now dont get me wrong i love my GTS and wish i had money to blow on it, but ive come to the realization that for one its my daily driver car, and two, its just not worth putting in so much money for minor returns. If anything, i say go for all suspension work. People under estimate what suspension can do for a car, but when you are actually putting all 152 hp to the street effeciently, it makes a world of difference.

3. fracture

fracture Member

thanks! This is my first car so really i have no clue what im doing but thanks for the help

4. Silver09GTS

Silver09GTS Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, upgrading your suspension, reducing unsprung weight, and stiffening the car can yield great results in performance and can be done in "smallish" increments. These are also usually not hard for the mechanically challenged.

5. fracture

fracture Member

thanks!

6. nickbutterz

nickbutterz Well-Known Member

sadly it is verry difficult to get that much horsepower :'(

7. Dabrits

Dabrits Well-Known Member

only on a lancer.... unless it was somehow fitted with an SR20VET...

8. fracture

fracture Member

so by installing a turbocharger i would have to mess with the internals alot?

9. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

ya i'd like to get a turbo someday but i would want to get the whole kit like serious08 but thats over $4,000 i wait a little bit for that till than SRI and an axel back!

10. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

I don't understand why someone over 25(yay for insurance breaks) would spend over 4000 on a turbo when that could be a down payment right now on a GSR. Hell, my local dealership has a fully loaded GSR for 28,000 + TTL with 0% 60mo financing. With 4000 down + trade in, that's a tiny monthly payment! For those who can't afford the insurance on the Evo, the rrm turbo is the way to go if you have the money and plan to keep the car until it dies 200,000 miles later.

11. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

Not everyone wants an evo... some people want a more "rare" car, like a turboed lancer. Don't know about you but I know that I don't see them very often... reffering to 08+

12. fracture

fracture Member

what is an SRI? sorry im not really that familiar with alot of this stuff

13. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

SRI = short ram intake...its biggest adversary is the CAI = cold air intake...difference?? SRI works better on low-end power and has a "deeper" sound (ive never seen one in my face to compare with my CAI so wouldnt know) and CAI works best on high-end power, sounds nice and deep and if combined with an exhaust system will help a lot and sound very nice... :D

*EDIT*
    just googled this
    "There are inherent pros and cons of both intake systems, but the main difference between a short ram intake and a cold air intake is where the intake gets its air from. A short ram intake sits and the engine bay where the air temps are warmer due to the heat the engine produces while a cold air intake sits away from the engine bay, usually in the front fender where it can suck in cooler air from the outside. Sucking in cool air is important because cool air is denser than warm air, which means cool air molecules are closer together, so more air can fit into a given amount of space. An engine creates power by mixing and compressing air and fuel. The more air you can fit into a cylinder at one time, the bigger explosion you can create which in turn creates more horsepower. This is why a CAI is a wiser choice for making power."

original post here http://blogs.superstreetonline.com/...intake-cai-vs-short-ram-intake-sri/index.html

14. fracture

fracture Member

thanks, very informative skullpr! looks like ill go with to CAI

15. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

hehe good thinking!! :D