09 2.4L exhausts

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by brads09lancerGTS, Feb 24, 2009.

1. brads09lancerGTS

brads09lancerGTS Active Member

Hi, my question is does anybody have an 08 or 09 2.0L specific exhaust installed on their 2009 GTS 2.4L. If so, which one do you have installed and how does it fit? Any modifying? The reason I ask is I want to get the new Magnaflow stainless cat-back exhaust and I called magnaflow and they said no way would it work for the 2.4L. They said they are way different setups. Every other part fits the 2.0 & 2.4L so I wonder why the exhaust wouldn't too.

BTW the only 2.4L specific exhaust I know of is the RRM Magnaflow Axle-back but I don't want that one

Help is appreciated and thanks.

2. lancer0220

lancer0220 Well-Known Member

my parents have an 08 es and i have an 09 gts the exhausts setups look different but the mounting places should be the same.

i have a greddy ti-c version 1 that was made for the 08 lancer on my 2009 lancer gts. i sugguest going with greddy ti-c :)

3. brads09lancerGTS

Personally, I don't like the looks of the new Injen, Greddy or the HKS exhausts. They look like grenade launchers. Also I don't want something really loud, just sounds good and still looks almost like stock. That's why I like the Magnaflow. Oh well. From what I've heard the only diff with the 2.0L and 2.4L exhaust setups is the hanger locations.

4. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

^^ hanger locations after the rear axle are the same. don't know off hand about what differences there are before the rear axle.

5. spiderman671

spiderman671 Guest

You interested in the RRM axleback? It's not loud, but has a pretty sweet deep tone.

If you are interested, PM me... I am parting out, so yeah :)

6. mikeike8

mikeike8 Well-Known Member

check out the works exhaust. it doesnt look like a "grenade launcher" but its doesnt look exactly like stock.. and the sound is real nice.. not as loud as my greddy but not as quiet as stock... and the guy i know that has it on his car drive a '09. hes on the site. his names lrdtygr or lordtygr

7. spiderman671

spiderman671 Guest

Yeah the WORKS axleback is pretty sweet too. A deep tone, and not to, what you call "grenade launcher" haha. But personally, you can get one made that looks like the WORKS axleback and save your self the money.

8. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

Tsudo N1 worked great for me

9. brads09lancerGTS

Thanks I'll get back to you later if I want it.

I will look more into the works one. Everybody is telling me to get that one.

10. brads09lancerGTS

What aftermarket exhaust mods will void your warranty? I want a cat-back exhaust but someone told me it would void your warranty. I would think that since I wouldn't remove the cat and it goes on behind the cat that they shouldn't void my warranty. I would think the only thing would be if I removed my cat. If the cat-back does void the warranty, I'll get the works exhale axle-back. Thanks

11. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

the best answer to that question is at your dealer...many of us have asked this same question and weve all gotten diff answers..

12. EngRWW33

warranty, warranty, warranty. There is one answer for this and there always has been one answer for this. If the mods causes the issue, warranty won't cover repairs. If the issue is not related to the mod, warranty is good.

13. spiderman671

spiderman671 Guest

^^^+1
    ... And the dealership MUST PROVE that the cause of the problem is due to the aftermarket part. But dealers will be assholes, and try to put the blame on you.

14. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

Yeah but they are real anal about emission related issues. I was told as long as it doesnt alter/replace the cat in any way that it wont be a problem.

15. EngRWW33

Sure, if you touch emissions equipment you will get shit. No one in this thread is talking about touching emissions equipment.

Back on topic. :D
    Works exhaust, IMO, is not worth it. It is a straight pipe... no biggie here
    RRM- nice tone, nice tip, rust issues.... supposedly version... ?? 1, 2, 3, 4 ??? has soolved this, but who know really???
    Greddy- good reviews, nice tone, no more hanger issues

Cat-Back options... for 2.0, if there is a big difference between the 2.4 and 2.0 these may not work, axle-backs will!!
    Magnaflow- nice cat-back system, good reviews, good company, etc etc...
    Vibrant- new system, no reviews/pics/clips... no one knows yet

There are others but they are all going to have about the same results. Tones will differ, but youtube does not do them justice. Remember these are all opinions but only yours counts.

16. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

Cat=emissions related.
    Bolting up to cat is "touching" emisions equipment lol. But we are talking about replacing everything behind the cat so it is all fine :D . Different people get different statements from there dealers. The reason I said that is becuase I called two different dealerships when I was at first thinking about getting a custom cat back made almost a year and a half ago. One dealership said that even if I bolt something up directly to the cat they would "void" my warranty. We all know thats not exactly possible thought unless they can prove..... The other dealership said as long as I didnt replace the cat I would be fine. So I go with their response lol.

17. brads09lancerGTS

Thanks alot. That's exactly what I was thinking. I was torn between the Magnaflow and Greddy because I thought they would be the best but just couldn't get over the grenade launcher look of the greddy. I talked to a vendor and he said that if the Magnaflow cat-back didn't fit the 2.4L I could return it and he would give me my full money back. I will be ordering it pretty quick .

Olvhec, I was thinking the same thing about if I bolted it on to my cat that I would get crap over emissions issues. Dealer hasn't given me a straight answer yet so I'll just go for it. Thanks for all the feedback.