08 GTS CVT MODS for my car

Discussion in 'New Member Check In!' started by bigstott, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bigstott

bigstott New Member

First off I wanted to say that I love my New Lancer. I bought it on the 8th of January and I already have 500 miles on it!! LOL work is far away. Anyways I told myself I wouldn’t MOD this car because I just needed to leave it alone….. lol well I know that’s not going to happen. So I started to read most of not all the posts on here…. something like 500 different pages of things everyone has written about different mods and things. So after reading all of them I decided that I want to do some mods. Now, I have some questions for you all in a few different areas and some of it will be IYOP and some of it will be based of fact.
    I have looked into a lot of different mods for the car and I think I know of all that I want to do to it for mow but if you think of something else while reading this let me know.

1. SRI I was thinking about the Injen… sounds like about a good 5-7hp there
    2. Exhaust… looked at Greddy, RRM and Works here is the thing… I don’t want to sound like a fart can… I had a car like that it sucked…. I want great performance again I believe 5hp gain when I was reading all the forms from this mod, I want a good tone low growl but I don’t want to be hearing it all the time. So I think the Greddy is out because one I don’t like the look of it and I have read it is loud. RRM I like it looks good… anyone have one and how does it perform and sound? Last Works with no muffler…. Don’t know about straight pipe… might be too loud… Your Thoughts????
    3. Pulley I have heard nothing but good things about it from RRM so sounds like a solid investment and a real good thing for my CVT but if you don’t think so please tell me.
    4. Piggy…. I have the same fears as do most about the warranty issue but I also understand about the mod having to be the cause of what went wrong... So I can deal with the fact that it could void it if I left it in when I got it serviced. I have read about good gains for this through what I have read… MPG boost is always nice… a little more tq and hp so is it a good mod??? I am pretty good about hiding wires and all that stuff and making it quick disconnect is not a problem so again yes good mod???? 5-7hp?
    5. Last header… I know it isn’t out yet… I think Rock said he is waiting for them to get coated and the first batch to come in. Good investment as well?

Looks to be around $1500 for these mods and a gain roughly 20-25 hp and 10lbs of tq
    I know the numbers might be off a bit and I am not expecting huge gains from these mods but I think they are reasonable for what I am doing.

If you think anything will work better or not worth it let me know….

2. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

First off, welcome.

3. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

1. Injen CAI roughly 10-12hp ordered
    2. GReddy which I'm getting is always good since it's GReddy
    3. Pulley, awesome ordered
    4. Header yes
    5. Piggy, waste of money since if you get turbo , turbo will have its own ecu

4. Nemo420

Nemo420 Well-Known Member

welcome to the site

5. Dukekid0987

Dukekid0987 Well-Known Member

Welcome and enjoy a lot of great info on here but always research first

6. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

It appears that you have a very nice plan there.

1. The intake really all depends on where you want the power. A nice SRI will keep it in the low to mid rpms, where our car sucks :D . A CAI (Injen) will put it in the higher rpms, like highway driving. My personal pref. is the SRI. But its the one for the Mazda 3. You can pick it up for under $50 on ebay.

2. Looks like RRM would be your best bet.

3. One of the best mods for the money out right now.

4. I am a firm believer in the piggy. The TQ that you gain is noticable. with the SRI, exhaust, and pulley you will be pleased with this.

5. The header is a neccessity if you plan on staying NA. The faster your engine can exit the exhaust, the more more power it can make.

I feel your numbers are a little high for the true wheel hp. With those mods you should be in the low 130s to the wheels.

7. chetman7

chetman7 Well-Known Member

low 130 whp??? damn..thats sad. seems like the 4b11 isn't very responsive to bolt ons

8. Nemo420

Nemo420 Well-Known Member

dude, their bolt ons......bolts ons are not a big deal. change your pistons and do a 3 or 5 angle valve job, when you start doing things like that is when you start getting real numbers.

9. chetman7

eveyrtime I talk to u...it feels like u talk down to everyone. Don't noe why since its through the interent...but I'm sik of it....u think u noe everything....u don't..get over urself.

10. Hydrolikz

Hydrolikz Well-Known Member

8O 8O 8O

11. SeRious08

Please don't let this blow up and get locked. Just chill out and ignore him.

130 is a reasonable number. If you look at the dynos that everyone has been posting you would see. Many have the exhaust, pulley and intake.

On mine, I had exhaust, pulley, and piggy and was around 125 in hp and tq. So with the header and an intake I could see easily picking up 5-10 hp/tq to the wheels. Maybe more. That would put me in the 130s.

12. stronz73

stronz73 Well-Known Member

Well enough with the attitude thing that people have on here, its not that anybody is better its just that some people have the money to spend on theyre cars, unlike me i dont but thats ok. But anyways to stay on TOPIC, you should definately invest into getting a SRI from RRM, Lightweight Pulley, and a Greddy exhaust, but if you dont like it just go to your local Muffler/Exhaust Shop and tell the mechanic what it is you r looking for and they will custom make one for you with any tip you want, thats how im doin it. Oh and i also have the SRI, pulley installed and its flawless....well for a bolt on. LOL! All yall need to chill. NO EGOS on LT.com!!!!

13. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

LEGGO my EGGO,lol. :D

14. stronz73

stronz73 Well-Known Member

LMAO! u crazy ass!

15. chetman7

yea yea i noe I'm sorry

but still wat confuses me is that people have bein dynoing stock around 120 to the wheels....axleback companies state 5-7 hp increase. RRm estimated a ~13 whp increase with their header, RRM intake said it would shave a second off ur 0-60.

lol none of these numbers add up to wat people are dynoing.

so therefore that how I came to a HYPOTHESIS that the 4b11 MIGHT not be THAT responsive to mods

this is just a GUESS...not a FACT ..just my OPINION

16. lancered

we jus got to remember bolt ons are just bolt ons.youll get something out of them until you get INTO the motor,then youll start seeing the NUMBERS come around.

17. lancered

we gotta eaze the tension somehow.

18. bigstott

bigstott New Member

I am also pretty realistic with the numbers as well... I just want a little gain and i do believe this is what will get me there.... If i want to do a turbo later on i can and then some of the parts will help and others might not... thats ok to me.... you can always sell something on ebay for someone to buy. As long as i boost the performance a bit i am happy. Besides if i wanted to have 300 hp i would have waited for the evo or the rallyart at 220hp i just didnt want to pay to insure that car.
    Any other mod suggestions would be great as i continue to plan out my what i am going to by beacuse it will be all at one time.
    Also ine thing.... since i am going to buy it all at one time i still think i need to install one thing at a time insted of all at one to make sure i am getting performance out of it correct??? Again let me know what you think!

19. slipshft

slipshft Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site!

Lancer are not known to be bolt-on friendly, they don't give impressive gains unless you dig into the motor or turbo. That said, you should still do the bolt-ons if that is what you want to do. Customize, and be happy!!

As for me I getting a turbo!!

20. SeRious08

Beef up your suspension. It will be like driving a totally different car. RRM is selling thier complete bar set for around $450. Then buy the V2 springs and you will a nice setup.